Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Breaking in a new engine
quail Offline
1st Service Completed

Neville pa
RE: Breaking in a new engine
Thanks
Thanks for the input. I rode her tonight and decided that 80 was a good idea for a change. It felt good to lean into it. Was pleased the front forks did not seem to want to over extend like my old cb750. I have 230 on the clock so I will just have to be good for a few more weeks, dump the oil and hope it all looks good in there. Then I will drop the reins and let her run.
05-05-2016 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uscgmac Offline
Running Like a Top

Long Island N.Y.
Don't over think it. Just do what the manual says and ride it. You will be fine with that.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

2014 CB1100
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
05-05-2016 08:57 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
My bike's already broke in, but I've been watching this thread because of the way the original question was phrased, as it included references to high-mileage bikes. It raised a question in my mind which I don't think has ever been asked or answered on this forum:

What happens if we don't break it in? Specifically, what happens to a bike if it's ridden hard (red-line shifts, etc.) from day 1?

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 08:42 AM by EmptySea.)
05-06-2016 08:27 AM
kmoney Offline
High Mileage

Vancouver, BC
You will basically end up with higher oil consumption throughout the life of the bike. Here is an excellent article on the theory behind it.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20Gara...eakin.html
05-06-2016 10:53 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Thanks kmoney. So, realistically, if most people would just ride normally keeping in mind not to be crazy for 500 miles or so, toss in an oil/filter change, and everything will be ok. Even if they get a little crazy now and then, it's still much more likely than not that everything will be ok and even if it's not perfectly ok, it's generally something that a rider could live with. Are those fair assumptions?

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 11:15 AM by EmptySea.)
05-06-2016 11:12 AM
Toddman Offline
1st Service Completed

Norman, OK
Breaking it in right does matter. Case in point. My (ex) wife bought a new CBR1000RR and rode it like an old lady. I'm pretty sure she didn't go over 6k rpm for 5 thousand miles. Then, she lets a friend of ours, a high output kinda guy, use it for the weekend in Eureka Springs. By the time we got back to the house, the bike was smoking a bit and used oil forever after because she never red lined it or rode it as it was intended. You need to rev these inline fours their entire life. I'm not saying blast it every time you ride it, but they need to stay cleaned out...because...Detonation is the devil.

-------------------------------
2014 CB1100
2006 GSXR1000 Track Bike
05-06-2016 11:41 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
But you're not saying NOT to blast it every time you ride it, either. Wink

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
05-06-2016 11:50 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(05-06-2016 11:41 AM)Toddman Wrote:  Breaking it in right does matter. Case in point. My (ex) wife bought a new CBR1000RR and rode it like an old lady. I'm pretty sure she didn't go over 6k rpm for 5 thousand miles. Then, she lets a friend of ours, a high output kinda guy, use it for the weekend in Eureka Springs. By the time we got back to the house, the bike was smoking a bit and used oil forever after because she never red lined it or rode it as it was intended. You need to rev these inline fours their entire life. I'm not saying blast it every time you ride it, but they need to stay cleaned out...because...Detonation is the devil.

She rides it 5000 miles with no issues. He rides it one weekend and brings it back smoking and using oil. I think I'd never lend a bike to that guy again.

I haven't redlined or come close to redlining a bike in 20 years. None of my bikes have ever smoked or used oil.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
05-06-2016 12:54 PM
NightRider Offline
Running Like a Top

Tennessee
(05-06-2016 11:41 AM)Toddman Wrote:  Breaking it in right does matter. Case in point. My (ex) wife bought a new CBR1000RR and rode it like an old lady. I'm pretty sure she didn't go over 6k rpm for 5 thousand miles. Then, she lets a friend of ours, a high output kinda guy, use it for the weekend in Eureka Springs. By the time we got back to the house, the bike was smoking a bit and used oil forever after because she never red lined it or rode it as it was intended. You need to rev these inline fours their entire life. I'm not saying blast it every time you ride it, but they need to stay cleaned out...because...Detonation is the devil.

I don't agree. Your friend broke the bike. Your wife was right. You don't need to rev the inline fours for power or to "keep them clean".

(05-05-2016 04:42 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Quail, you are not going to find many owners that put over 50,000 miles on the same motorcycle. They get the wantsies for a new one long before they reach that plateau. Since the average motorcycle owner rides 1900 miles a year that would take close to 25 years. And to complicate matters, most of the bikes that are "beat on" for lack of a better term are liquid cooled bikes, not air cooled like the CB.

As long as you don't take a cold motor and run it at redline for a sustained period, or not change the oil and filter at the recommended times, I doubt you could hurt this motor just riding it.

Personally I break mine in fairly easy, just like I ride, and change the oil and filter every 4,000 miles. I have 71,000 miles on my ST with no issues, but again, it's a liquid cooled motor. I have 20,000 on my CB and don't anticipate any issues in the next 80,000 miles. Hondas are well designed, well manufactured, of good materials. Honda has a lot of experience building reliable motorcycles. Barring something wierd, I wouldn't expect any problems for basically my lifetime. Don't know that you could wear one of these out. Suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely.

My style also. I tend to focus on smooth riding and personally consider that the mark of a great rider. If I barely feel the gears changing or the clutch engaging because I have every move right then I feel it is a great ride.

2014 CB1100 Black Edition - FOUR EVER
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 01:00 PM by NightRider.)
05-06-2016 12:56 PM
Toddman Offline
1st Service Completed

Norman, OK
My point is that as long as you ride the bike like it was broke in, you won't have a problem. I have an 06 gixxer that I have flogged unmercifully its entire life and it runs like a jewel. Had the Honda been broken in correctly (probably my fault it wasn't) it would never have used oil. All Chad did was ride it to redline a few times.

-------------------------------
2014 CB1100
2006 GSXR1000 Track Bike
05-06-2016 01:05 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 . . .misterprofessionality — 04:31 AM