I may hv no choice but to see if 160/60 can fit

Chung
09-05-2014 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
RE: Thinking about a wider rear tire
160/60 does fit (Michelin PR 3s) Just take a little off the foot of the centre stand right leg.

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2014 06:43 PM by Pterodactyl.)
09-05-2014 06:42 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I think the PR3 is the tire Empty Sea is running as well and I don't remember him saying anything about grinding the foot on his centerstand. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-05-2014 09:14 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
EmptySea hadn't modified his centre stand when Pterodactyl put PR3s on his bike, but he was heading off to think about it, See this thread.

Never did hear what happened.
09-05-2014 09:34 PM
VicsCB1100 Offline
1st Service Completed

Sydney, Australia
I am also researching tyres to replace the now discontinued original Dunlops fitted to my bike.

As already reported by other Aussies no brand of radial is available here in radial and in the OEM size.

I recall one of our Euro colleagues reported some alternative sizes are approved in Europe. After trawling each brands website for application charts only Pirelli and Bridgestone have a recommended tyre for the CB1100.

Pirelli Sport Demons in the OEM size. Not radials?

Bridgestone Europe has 3 tyres. BT 54 in OEM size, T30 and BT 023 with the 160/60 rear. This is interesting as other Bridgestone global sites dont offer this selection.

My main concern is compliance and liability for insurance. Honda does not specify alternative sizes or non radial construction so in theory an injury or accident claim could be rejected or at least disputed. FYI I have seen this happen with wheel and tyre changes on cars here. No engineers certificate for non standard modification leaves owners exposed.

I am considering approaching Honda Australia for advice. By law they have responsibility to maintain availability of service parts for vehicles for a minimum period of 7 years. Tyres are a service item and the vehicle importer is ultimately responsible for coordinating supply with tyre distributors.
09-05-2014 11:41 PM
Henrik Offline
Running Like a Top

Switzerland
I find it quite annoying that Honda brings out a new bike in 2014, the EX, which is delivered with a tire D205 that is discontinued. To top things off, for the EX rim they do not propose any other alternative. With all the work that went in to designing the CB1100 EX, they should have spent also a little bit of time getting a proper tire for it too.

At this point, I have no idea what to put on it when I must replace the D205. It seems I will have to take a tubeless tire and put tubes in it, something that is really not recommended.
09-05-2014 11:54 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(09-05-2014 09:14 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I think the PR3 is the tire Empty Sea is running as well and I don't remember him saying anything about grinding the foot on his centerstand. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

BELOW FROM PREVIOUS THREAD Michelins Fitted

My Bridgestone BT45 bias ply tyres (standard size) were stuffed and needed replacement. I had done approximately 16000kms on the Bridgestones. After some research, I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s, 110/80/18F and 160/60/18R. I liked the reviews of these tyres and, I have to say, reading CIP57’s post also influenced me. I removed the wheels at home and took them to the tyre supplier. The supplier removed the Bridgies, fitted the Michelins and balanced the wheels. On inspection the rear brake pads were worn to the indicators and the fronts were only just OK. This was after 33300kms total. While the wheels were off was a good time to replace the pads so I did that.
I fitted sintered pads to the front and organic to the rear. I am heavy footed enough to make me cautious when applying rear brake while modulating sintered on the front is not a problem.

Thought I would show some photos:

Last Blast, wheels off, waiting for new shoes and stoppers. Older cousin in the background.

After fitting the pads and new tyres I was concerned with the clearance between the rear tyre (now 160/60) and the right side foot of the centerstand. With the 140/70 standard tyre the clearance is approximately 12.5mm (.5in). This was now reduced to about 7mm. Probably enough. But not enough to remove images in my overactive imagination of the rear tyre, at high speed, contacting the centerstand and bringing it down. Could be nasty. I thought about bending the right side of the stand out. There is not a lot of length between the foot and centerstand cross brace so a substantial bend would be required over a short distance. I then decided to remove the centerstand and cut the inside of the foot down to achieve at least a 12mm clearance.

Foot after surgery and a squirt of Kill-rust black paint.

Centerstand back in place. The clearance is now about 17mm. Imagination now at rest.

Removing the centerstand is easily done, a pinch of the proverbial possum’s pooh as they say (at least here in OZ they say that). I refitted the centerstand but did have an “issue”. Replacing the main spring and the sub spring proved not to be a pinch of the proverbial, to say the least. The sub spring sits inside the main spring and that’s how they both came off, together. Surely they go on together. Well, not quite. After about 30mins the floor below the bike was littered with various pliers, screwdrivers and even a hammer. The air was blue with my expletives. I do have a set of brake spring pliers, which may have done the job, but I couldn’t find them. Fitting the sub spring, located inside the main spring, was easy. The main spring not so, as the sub spring inhibited twisting and extending the main spring, and really did not want to stay in place while I attempted to fit the main spring. Bugger! I decided a beer was required to calm me down and lubricate the thought processes. It worked. Going back to the job I had a Eureka moment. Clamp the top of the main spring to the pivot post; fit the main spring using a suitable lever. I used a sturdy phillips head screwdriver. Then insert the sub spring inside the main spring with the upper end inboard of the clamped main spring and then pull down and attach at the bottom. Like a lot of things in life, once you have done it, you know how to do it.

Anyway, all back together and time to bed in the brake pads and get the shine off the tyres. I decided to ride to the Grey Gum Café on the Putty Road to the north west of Sydney. About a 306km ride, return. I wont go into the details of the ride too much except to say that the initial 40km was on freeway so that by spacing between blocks of cars I had the brakes well and truly bedded and the tyres warm before getting on the Putty Road. The Putty Road has lots of tight twisties, sweepers and some straight. Ideal for the job. In a Seat Time post Cormanus has given some good detail on this road and a photo of the Grey Gum Cafe. The tyres were good by the time I had a fish burger washed down by a coffee at the Grey Gum. On the run back I gave the Michelins a good workout. I was impressed. I had the strong impression they were smooth and very sticky. Got up some good lean angles. Felt good.

Here are a couple of photos of Last Blast with new boots:

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 12:07 AM by Pterodactyl.)
09-06-2014 12:03 AM
lemontree Offline
Break-In Period

Australia
So does that mean a 150/70 will fit fine?
04-13-2015 12:24 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
FWIW a motorcycle i buy represents m . . .Ollie — 06:24 AM
FWIW a motorcycle I buy represents mon . . .The ferret — 06:22 AM