Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battery beeping
Chuck Bronson Offline
Break-In Period

Los Angeles, CA
Battery beeping
My battery has died after replacing it with another battery my 2014 cb1100 came with that died out also. I thought the problem was my battery. I'm guessing now that it's my alternator. My issue is now that I hooked up a battery tender to the battery and it's starts beeping. A faint electronic beep. Beeps like three times and continues every couple of seconds. I can't tell if it's coming from the battery but it sounds in that area. Can some one tell me if they know what's going on or what it might be??
06-22-2016 09:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
RE: Battery beeping
Are you sure it is not the charger beeping? If you remove the battery and put it on the charger you can narrow it down pretty fast. Non charging batteries could be a bad battery, a bad rectifier or a bad AC generator (Honda's term). That assumes that all the connections are good and you don't have some big accessory load on all the time Smile

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2016 04:49 AM by Lord Popgun.)
06-23-2016 04:49 AM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
In my limited experience the beeping has come from the battery tender (smarter than I am) and is telling me the battery is shot and won't charge.

Dead battery is a symptom.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
06-24-2016 07:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chuck Bronson Offline
Break-In Period

Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the replies!
I disconnected my battery from my bike and it read 7volts. I connected the battery straight to the tender and it started to charge fine. Then I connected the tender to my bike and there were no beeps. I reconnected the battery to my bike immediately without full charge and then hooked up the tender. Again it started beeping. I now have the battery disconnected and charging. The beeping was coming from the bike somewhere. I haven't had much time to take the side cover off and see where it's coming from but I will. The battery that I have I bought 4 weeks ago. And the battery loss charge 5 days after I last rode it. I would think it would hold charge longer than 5 days.
06-24-2016 06:15 PM
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
Something is definitely amiss. The first thing I would check are the fuses to make sure that none are blown.
06-24-2016 07:14 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(06-24-2016 06:15 PM)Chuck Bronson Wrote:  Thanks for the replies!
I disconnected my battery from my bike and it read 7volts. I connected the battery straight to the tender and it started to charge fine. Then I connected the tender to my bike and there were no beeps. I reconnected the battery to my bike immediately without full charge and then hooked up the tender. Again it started beeping. I now have the battery disconnected and charging. The beeping was coming from the bike somewhere. I haven't had much time to take the side cover off and see where it's coming from but I will. The battery that I have I bought 4 weeks ago. And the battery loss charge 5 days after I last rode it. I would think it would hold charge longer than 5 days.
The connections on the battery should be checked for tightness. The sound, no idea about that. The bike should have no problem keeping the battery charged once it's back to full voltage. The battery has been seriously discharged; it may not be salvageable but you can try.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2016 09:29 PM by Ulvetanna.)
06-24-2016 09:28 PM
Lord Popgun Offline

Virginia Beach
Chuck, can you please provide the charger brand and model number? And is the battery a Li-ion battery?

2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
06-25-2016 04:20 AM
AzBob Offline
Running Like a Top

Chandler, AZ, USA
(06-24-2016 06:15 PM)Chuck Bronson Wrote:  Thanks for the replies!
I disconnected my battery from my bike and it read 7volts.

7 volts? The battery is destroyed. You have one or more dead cells. Buy a new battery. It doesn't matter that you just bought it. In fact, since you just bought it, you should probably be able to get a brand new one, free, under warranty. Minimum voltage with no damage is about 12 volts. Zero charge is 10.5. You battery is well beyond death.

Nothing on the bike beeps. It's your charger and your ears playing tricks on you. The human brain is abysmally bad at determining the direction of sound even though we have stereophonic hearing -- we tend to go with whatever our eyes are telling us.

2008 CBR1000RR (for sale)
2013 CB1100
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
06-28-2016 02:42 PM
Lord Popgun Offline

Virginia Beach
I agree with everything AzBob said above.

2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2016 02:56 PM by Lord Popgun.)
06-28-2016 02:55 PM
Chuck Bronson Offline
Break-In Period

Los Angeles, CA
Since I last wrote. I have charged my battery fully and it has kept 12v for 2 days without riding. When I would start the bike I checked the voltage to see if my charging system works. And I think it does. Puts out 14v while running. On third day checked battery still good. Went out for a ride and everything fine. I know my battery is supposed to be dead at 7v but so far so good. I know my charger is not making the beeping noise. I still haven't taken off my side covers to further investigate. I'm thinking maybe an alarm that was installed before I bought it used.
How long should a battery last without riding or charging? If there is a short somewhere should it pop the fuse?
06-28-2016 09:22 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM