Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keeping oneself in check
husky385 Offline
1st Service Completed

Eugene Oregon
Keeping oneself in check
I like riding this motorcycle a lot, I mean obsessively a lot.
I have needed new tires for a while now. Apparently I don't have the willpower to stop riding.
So yesterday I removed the wheels and tires to keep from making excuses to continue to ride (like I'm just going around town).
I will be able to get new ones around the first of July.
Anyone else have to do something like this to keep themselves in check?
Kevin

06-26-2016 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
RE: Keeping oneself in check
I have several bikes and there's always one in reserve when another one is down for service, but I would never ride on tires that worn. Your rear isn't too squared but that front is trashed! How many miles on them?

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
06-26-2016 03:43 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I'd have still been riding on those. They handle a little weird, harder to turn in, but they will still roll.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
06-26-2016 04:18 PM
husky385 Offline
1st Service Completed

Eugene Oregon
(06-26-2016 03:43 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  I have several bikes and there's always one in reserve when another one is down for service, but I would never ride on tires that worn. Your rear isn't too squared but that front is trashed! How many miles on them?

9901 miles.Angel Yea the front one is the one I was mostly concerned with.
Kevin

(06-26-2016 04:18 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I'd have still been riding on those. They handle a little weird, harder to turn in, but they will still roll.

I wanted to keep riding on them just to keep up with you on the mileage count, but chickened out.Tongue Look out next month though.The ferret
Kevin
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2016 04:42 PM by husky385.)
06-26-2016 04:34 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(06-26-2016 04:34 PM)husky385 Wrote:  
(06-26-2016 04:18 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I'd have still been riding on those. They handle a little weird, harder to turn in, but they will still roll.

I wanted to keep riding on them just to keep up with you on the mileage count, but chickened out.Tongue Look out next month though.The ferret
Kevin

That's the spirit.
06-26-2016 04:53 PM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
Like LongRanger, I have several bikes so I always have an alternative.
That said, if one of them needs new rubber they get it.
I don't ride on old or worn rubber.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
06-27-2016 02:52 AM
SailorRider Offline
1st Service Completed

New York, USA
(06-26-2016 02:38 PM)husky385 Wrote:  I like riding this motorcycle a lot, I mean obsessively a lot.
I have needed new tires for a while now. Apparently I don't have the willpower to stop riding.
So yesterday I removed the wheels and tires to keep from making excuses to continue to ride (like I'm just going around town).
I will be able to get new ones around the first of July.
Anyone else have to do something like this to keep themselves in check?
Kevin

Yes. I made myself a promise to try to hit a 10:1 ratio of miles put on the CB1100 to miles I put on my road bicycle. So far I think I am close this spring/summer, although I am not compulsive about recording/checking. Helps to stay in shape, and in many ways my bicycle riding informs my motorcycle riding and vice versa.

SailorRider

2013 Honda CB1100 Standard
2009 Felt Z35 bicycle
1986 Cape Dory 32 Double Headsail Sloop
06-27-2016 07:31 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(06-27-2016 07:31 AM)SailorRider Wrote:  Yes. I made myself a promise to try to hit a 10:1 ratio of miles put on the CB1100 to miles I put on my road bicycle. So far I think I am close this spring/summer, although I am not compulsive about recording/checking. Helps to stay in shape, and in many ways my bicycle riding informs my motorcycle riding and vice versa.
You can try all these metrics but in the end going by what your body and mind tell you works a lot better.

I also road cycle and was very dedicated to it for several years. Rode about 500 miles a month and lots of climbing, averages about 100 vertical feet per mile where I ride.

I found that when I took up motorcycling again the road cycling was detrimental. Such a totally different discipline. The only way I was helped is that I could smoke most traditional roadies on descents because of my racetrack experience.

Studies now show that heavy aerobic excercise sessions actually create a high level of chronic fatigue and that is just how I felt for those years of serious cycling. That's why all these pros use doping, the human body cannot endure that type of torture.

About 30 minutes of resistance training 3X week is better for you. Track days are brutal; I'm in anaerobic the whole 15 minute session, HR at about 160. That's six sessions a day. Takes a few days to recover but overall I feel a lot better than I did when I was cycling.

Just ride your motorcycle if that's what you like. Ride your bicycle if that's what you like. Do both. Watch TV. Do what you like to do.

BTW, finding excuses to ride is what we motorcyclists do. I'm always finding excuses to ride. Why own a bike otherwise?
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2016 09:01 AM by Ulvetanna.)
06-27-2016 08:59 AM
SailorRider Offline
1st Service Completed

New York, USA
(06-27-2016 08:59 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  
(06-27-2016 07:31 AM)SailorRider Wrote:  Yes. I made myself a promise to try to hit a 10:1 ratio of miles put on the CB1100 to miles I put on my road bicycle. So far I think I am close this spring/summer, although I am not compulsive about recording/checking. Helps to stay in shape, and in many ways my bicycle riding informs my motorcycle riding and vice versa.
You can try all these metrics but in the end going by what your body and mind tell you works a lot better.

I also road cycle and was very dedicated to it for several years. Rode about 500 miles a month and lots of climbing, averages about 100 vertical feet per mile where I ride.

I found that when I took up motorcycling again the road cycling was detrimental. Such a totally different discipline. The only way I was helped is that I could smoke most traditional roadies on descents because of my racetrack experience.

Studies now show that heavy aerobic excercise sessions actually create a high level of chronic fatigue and that is just how I felt for those years of serious cycling. That's why all these pros use doping, the human body cannot endure that type of torture.

About 30 minutes of resistance training 3X week is better for you. Track days are brutal; I'm in anaerobic the whole 15 minute session, HR at about 160. That's six sessions a day. Takes a few days to recover but overall I feel a lot better than I did when I was cycling.

Just ride your motorcycle if that's what you like. Ride your bicycle if that's what you like. Do both. Watch TV. Do what you like to do.

BTW, finding excuses to ride is what we motorcyclists do. I'm always finding excuses to ride. Why own a bike otherwise?

I agree with your comments. Note that I do enjoy cycling quite a bit on its own, and would not ever call my level of cycling "heavy". 500 miles a month? Not me, maybe 500 miles a year, if that. Just a decent dose of cardio without overdoing it. And I do try to get resistance in as well, more important than ever as I progress through my 50s.

SailorRider

2013 Honda CB1100 Standard
2009 Felt Z35 bicycle
1986 Cape Dory 32 Double Headsail Sloop
06-27-2016 01:51 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(06-27-2016 01:51 PM)SailorRider Wrote:  I agree with your comments. Note that I do enjoy cycling quite a bit on its own, and would not ever call my level of cycling "heavy". 500 miles a month? Not me, maybe 500 miles a year, if that. Just a decent dose of cardio without overdoing it. And I do try to get resistance in as well, more important than ever as I progress through my 50s.
That Felt is a nice bike, 18 pounds, pretty light. No one really needs anything more than 105 groupset, either. I think I figured out you pay about a buck/milligram of weight reduction for all that Ultegra and Campy stuff. And then it really ticks off the guys who have it when some guy running SRAM Apex with the cheater climbing cogs beats them up the hill. Or down it.

I have a Ridley Orion that is very similar to your bicycle but I built it with SRAM Apex, gives you a 32T low cog in the back, awesome for spinning up the hills and easier on the old knees.

BTW put the wheels back on your motorcycle and ride it. You don't need to check yourself unless there is something else to it, like having a lot of close calls or skill issues. I rode the snot out of mine today, hardest I ever rode it, it is brilliant, 250 mile loop through national parks, etcetera, 125 miles of just nonstop twists and almost zero traffic. Bounced it off the rev limiter once.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2016 09:20 PM by Ulvetanna.)
06-27-2016 06:02 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>