Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Triumph T120 v CB1100a
AzBob Offline
Running Like a Top

Chandler, AZ, USA
RE: Triumph T120 v CB1100a
(06-28-2016 03:25 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  I noticed your posts there, of course, and you exemplified perfectly why the CB1100 is no longer for sale here in the USA.

The perception is that for some reason an air-cooled bike does not do as well in traffic or heat.

I've ridden mine in 115+*F heat and heavy, heavy traffic without the bike having any problem.

The engine does throw off a tremendous amount of heat however, and the tank, if its low on fuel, actually burns it gets so hot (my inner thighs are all red when I get home). Not the most comfortable bike in the heat from my experience.

2008 CBR1000RR (for sale)
2013 CB1100
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
06-29-2016 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
I don't think the heat complaint is unique to the CB1100, or to air-cooled bikes in general. Over on the F800ST/GT forum, a number of folks complain about the heat coming from those bikes in hot weather, and they're water-cooled. Because of the fairing design, engine heat tends to be blown onto the rider's legs. I've experienced no such issues, but it is a heated topic (pun intended).

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
06-29-2016 09:22 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
I think the heat issue with air-cooled bikes is less about how much heat they throw off than the prospect of damaging the engine via overheating in hot weather/ stopped traffic. I've not had issues with either situation, and have some water cooled bikes that fry my arse and legs far worse than the CB.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016 09:56 AM by Capo.)
06-29-2016 09:56 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I don't like riding in the heat, but the CB is better to ride than the Griso - in the heat. The left jug on the Griso heats up my leg pretty good.

If you do "abuse" and aircooled bike in the heat I'd be more worried about the oil holding up and just change oil more frequently.

I was very impressed with the Thruxton R and if I didn't have the Griso already I'd consider it. I'm considering it anyway. Then Harley came out with the Roadster and THAT bike is intriguing. But I don't really need another town bike, I'd like to have an open road machine and neither one fits that bill as well as the Griso (and the aerodynamics on the Griso still need some attention). I still entertain this notion that I'll do some road trips. sigh....

Unlike the 1960's, the choice between a Triumph or a Honda is not made so much on performance as nostalgia, which is going to vary from buyer to buyer. Luckily for Triumph buyers the quality of their bikes is so much better now, they can live the good ol' days without the pain of the good ol' days. Smile

If I had the room and money I'd add an R and that Roadster to the fleet. Big Grin

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
06-29-2016 10:50 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(06-29-2016 09:22 AM)LongRanger Wrote:  I don't think the heat complaint is unique to the CB1100, or to air-cooled bikes in general. Over on the F800ST/GT forum, a number of folks complain about the heat coming from those bikes in hot weather, and they're water-cooled. Because of the fairing design, engine heat tends to be blown onto the rider's legs. I've experienced no such issues, but it is a heated topic (pun intended).

Without wishing to turn up the temperature, I seem to remember reading of many complaints about the heat thrown off the Honda ST1300. And that is water cooled.
06-29-2016 12:22 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Yep, and the FJR too.

As long as I'm ATGATT, I don't find engine heat to be an issue, but I don't purposely ride in 115 degree heat either!

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
06-29-2016 01:12 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
No. The engine temperature is the least of your worries when it's that hot. There's simply no escaping it.
06-29-2016 01:19 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(06-29-2016 09:56 AM)Capo Wrote:  I think the heat issue with air-cooled bikes is less about how much heat they throw off than the prospect of damaging the engine via overheating in hot weather/ stopped traffic.
Does anyone really think like that? Aircooled bikes have been around for 100 years. Millions of Harleys, Triumphs, Nortons, Hondas, Kawis, Yamahas, Suzukis and countless others have been ridden hundreds of millions of miles. I have not personally known anyone to balk at purchasing an air-cooled bike if that is the bike that suits their riding. I recall the Yamaha Seca series, Kawasaki GPz, Suzuki Katana, and yep, the Honda CB's. Twins, fours, so many different models.

Suzuki made an air/oil-cooled GSX-R for years and years, used the engine also in the Katana. I had a Katana 750, fantastic bike, ran beautifully.

Another funny point about the T120 vs the CB1100 with respect to authenticity of retro features are the fake fins on the Triumph. It's liquid-cooled, the fins are purely cosmetic. So that's kind of styling-only thang.

The opposite weighs pretty well in the Honda's favor; I have found nothing on the Honda that is not genuinely there for a reason and serves to support the bike's mission. It was built around an air-cooled mill, the fenders are chromed steel, the frame tubular steel, everything is what it seems to be.

That does not take away anything from the function or pleasure of the Triumph, of course, but does indicate Triumph knew its target buyer would not appreciate smooth cylinder jackets. Not exactly disingenuous but might be called "cosmetic" by some.

I noticed that images of the bike from the front are not easy to find, as the radiator does just slightly detract from the classic look.

Then again we've had at least one guy wanting to remove the CB1100's oil cooler, and yet another want to install a fan on it.

(06-29-2016 01:19 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  No. The engine temperature is the least of your worries when it's that hot. There's simply no escaping it.
Every degree above body temperature starts to create health issues.

(06-29-2016 10:50 AM)Rboe Wrote:  I don't like riding in the heat, but the CB is better to ride than the Griso - in the heat. The left jug on the Griso heats up my leg pretty good.

If you do "abuse" and aircooled bike in the heat I'd be more worried about the oil holding up and just change oil more frequently.

I was very impressed with the Thruxton R and if I didn't have the Griso already I'd consider it. I'm considering it anyway. Then Harley came out with the Roadster and THAT bike is intriguing. But I don't really need another town bike, I'd like to have an open road machine and neither one fits that bill as well as the Griso (and the aerodynamics on the Griso still need some attention). I still entertain this notion that I'll do some road trips. sigh....

Unlike the 1960's, the choice between a Triumph or a Honda is not made so much on performance as nostalgia, which is going to vary from buyer to buyer. Luckily for Triumph buyers the quality of their bikes is so much better now, they can live the good ol' days without the pain of the good ol' days. Smile

If I had the room and money I'd add an R and that Roadster to the fleet. Big Grin
Yep, I like that Roadster quite a bit. Looks like fun, I had a Sportster Sport with the twin disks, it was pretty neat. Agree nostalgia is the key sales point. Explains the cosmetic cooling fins. Looks like a really neat bike though, I'll have to check one out.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016 05:21 PM by Ulvetanna.)
06-29-2016 05:16 PM
riceburner Offline
1st Service Completed

pa
Discontinued in USA means heavily discounted Brand New out the door price.Ask me how I know! A water cooled engine with cooling fins the fins will still work and remove heat along with the radiator.May be unnecessary but doesn't hurt either,my Vulcan had both.If i had the bucks i'd walk into the dealer and say give me one of each,all the bikes are eye and mind candy.
06-29-2016 07:36 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Triumph T120 v CB1100a
The fins on the new WC Bonnie line are not cosmetic, they actually assist in cooling the engine, which allows the radiator to be small...one by two inches larger than the oil cooler on the CB, which is far more of an eyesore than the Bonnie/ Thrux 's well- hidden radiator. Cycle World: 'You have to look no further than the cooling system to see the lengths to which Triumph went to make the machines look right. While the engine is conventionally liquid-cooled, with full water jackets around the cylinders and valve seats, it is finned as heavily as an air-cooled engine, and the fins actually provide significant cooling, allowing a smaller radia­tor. Water is routed inter­nally in the engine to two central ports, right on the bike centerline, that plug directly into a skinny radiator in front of the engine that masquerades superbly as an oil cooler. The radiator cap is remote and hidden.'

Look only to BMW and Harley for similar moves to partial liquid cooling for any number of reasons. The CB is very well- engineered, mild- mannered machine with a shocking amount of work done to deliver a modern air and oil cooled motor, already Euro 4 compliant. I do hope they continue to produce and evolve it, rather than slap some checkerboard stickers on it for Canada only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2016 04:09 AM by Capo.)
06-30-2016 04:06 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
:blush:Lord Popgun — 05:28 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… : . . .Nachodaddy — 04:46 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was a . . .GoldOxide — 04:34 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992