Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Saddles
H.Ibsen Offline
Break-In Period

West Hollywood, CA
Saddles
Hey folks,

I'm looking into replacing my saddle. I've not got much built-in padding on my butt, long rides can get a bit wearing, and my girlfriend would appreciate a backrest.

I've seen the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady Gunfighter. Thoughts? Reviews? Other suggestions?

Thanks!
07-01-2016 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Retsel Offline
High Mileage

Pacifica
RE: Saddles
My experience with Corbin seats are that they are well made and wear well but, they are a little stiff/firm. More like a saddle. If you can sit on one before purchase I would suggest that. I am near their factory and was able to check mine out before purchasing, for my Valkyrie. I liked it after getting use to it. Many of my riding buddies, when swapping bikes, did not care for it.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
07-01-2016 01:31 PM
H.Ibsen Offline
Break-In Period

West Hollywood, CA
(07-01-2016 01:31 PM)Retsel Wrote:  My experience with Corbin seats are that they are well made and wear well but, they are a little stiff/firm. More like a saddle. If you can sit on one before purchase I would suggest that. I am near their factory and was able to check mine out before purchasing, for my Valkyrie. I liked it after getting use to it. Many of my riding buddies, when swapping bikes, did not care for it.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the info, Retsel! I'll try to find one to try out.
07-01-2016 01:46 PM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
I've been fine with the stock seat but did have the Corbin Gunfighter on a Vulcan 900 I used to own. I loved the seat. It is definitely firmer than stock but, counter-intuitively, the firmer the seat, the more comfort on long rides. There's something about the Corbin available for the CB that I just don't like but another forum member, Chip Beck, had one made with different specs that actually looks much better. If you search Chip's posts, you'll come across photos of his seat (among other nice mods he's done) and you can decide for yourself. If you, too, prefer the look, it's my understanding you can ask Corbin for the Chip Beck spec Corbin seat.

Good luck!

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
07-03-2016 08:10 AM
H.Ibsen Offline
Break-In Period

West Hollywood, CA
Great advice, Metal. I'll look up Chip's posts!
07-03-2016 08:54 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
You are either a corbin seat guy or not. I'm not.

I've also heard many complaints about their customer service and quality if you do the mail order thing but if make an appointment and ride it - that is the way to buy a Corbin.

In any event, a good local guy is usually the best bet - and it looks like Corbin could be "local" to you. Big Grin

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
07-07-2016 09:42 PM
kennyw Offline
High Mileage

Gold Bar
I had no issues with mail ordering my Corbin. I bought it used for less than half price of new from a member here. The down side is the color doesn't match the bike very well, but it's too dirty to tell in pictures.

KennyW
07-08-2016 09:56 AM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
On my third Corbin, works well for me. Riding buddy hates them passionately.
Lots of money to gamble.
Research before buying. Many options available.
Alaskan sheep skin pad made a big difference for me. Air hawk not a bank breaking experiment.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
07-24-2016 08:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
White Dog Offline
Running Like a Top

NC
I measured the useable sitting space on my stock seat after I had talked at length with a vendor of Corbin seats and ordered one. But, back to the stock seat. My unscientific measurement was 10" wide and 8" usable length. My butt is larger than that and that small a seat space is why my butt gets so sore when riding, even with an inch of foam, an AirHawk pad and sheepskin cover. The vendor with whom I conversed said that in all his years in the motorcycle parts business, the chief complaint about Japanese cycles was the uncomfortable seats. DUH! Why don't the Japanese make a seat to fit us fat butt Americans, as opposed to the 125-130 lb. Japanese rider? Guess that's what keeps Corbin, Day Long, Daytona and others in business. Must be some kind of conspiracy going on.

2014 Standard, PS2 Shield, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Givi tail box.
08-17-2016 06:12 PM
husky385 Offline
1st Service Completed

Eugene Oregon
If I can swing it money wise I'm going have this guy redo my seat. He is less than 50 miles away.
Kevin

http://www.mredsmoto.com/mredsmoto.htm
08-17-2016 06:49 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition