Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cross country windscreen
bflint Offline
Running Like a Top

san diego
Cross country windscreen
I want to ride xcountry (west to east to west) on my 2014 CB1100DX but need to figure out how to not get battered to death by the wind at 65-80 mph.

I'm 6' 0'' tall, wear a 3/4 Bell Mag-9 helmet, and have 18" tall MRA VFVT V-Flow windshield w/ built-in spoiler. The wind slightly lifts my 3/4 helmet and my shoulders start getting tired of the battering after about 100 miles.

I tried my friends full helmet and it provides minimal help.

I'm thinking about the National Cycle Plexistar 2. I actually found a person selling a 2013 CB1100 with this exact windshield, so I parked mine next it and did avisual comparison of the windshields. The top of the Plexistar 2 seem to be at the same height as mine, but its wider.

I was thinking I could add a spoiler to the Plexistar 2 to help increase the height a bit.

Does anybody have a suggested windscreen configuration for xcountry biking (no .. I can't drive 55mph as Sammy Hagar suggested).

Regards .. your CB brother.
07-08-2016 04:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
RE: Cross country windscreen
It's expensive and I have not tried it my self but it gets good reviews: Parabellum Scout
http://parabellum.com/Scout-Fairing-Hond...-P122.aspx

I bought a Slipsteamer, disappointed in the mounting hardware. Had it on until spring when I replaced with a Comet 1 (I really like but not suitable for long high speed rides). I have not tried the Slipstreamer on a long ride but I used a similar screen on my old 550 - I had two complaints; made the bike suck gas and the wind would grab it.

I've used and still use a laminar lip on some fairings, they help. How much they help depends upon the screen its' mounted on. On the MRA, the improvement is not enough. sigh

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
07-08-2016 04:36 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Not to wade into the helmet debate, but for a 6000 mile trip in all conditions, an investment in a high quality full face or modular helmet will be your best investment. If the fit is right, a Schuberth C3 or Shoei Neotec would give you great relief form the breeze, and with earplugs, a quiet and minimal buffeting ride. Add on a modest windshield (lots of options here on the site) and you'd likely enjoy a safe, quiet and comfortable journey.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
07-08-2016 06:44 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
This is a tough one for anyone to answer. Like seats, picking a good windshield has a lot to do with a number of individual variables. What works for one person might be a poor choice for someone else.

I use the Plexistar 2 for long road trips and winter riding and it works great for me. I'm 5'8" and the way mine is mounted on my '13 CB, the turbulent air hits the top 1" of my helmet. That puts my torso and head in the calm air behind the shield at highway speeds. Very comfortable on long road trips. I especially like that coverage extends out to my hands.

You, being 4" taller might not have the same results. Depends on how much of that 4" is in your legs and how much is in your upper body. The Plexi 2 has quite a bit of adjustment in it to compensate. Mine sits right on the headlight and is raked back to just clear the gauges. If you look at the sample pic on the NC website, you'll see they can be mounted higher if needed or angled more vertically.

Bottom line, the Plexi 2 is a great full coverage, x-country shield for me. Hard to say if it would be the best one for you. The only other "big" shield I've seen on these bikes is the Slipstreamer S-00. I haven't used one, but I think someone else on the forum has one and could chime in.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
07-08-2016 08:22 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Pic of member's Slipstreamer: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....#pid135282

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 03:31 AM by Lord Popgun.)
07-09-2016 03:30 AM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
Parabellum also sells a sport shield for the CB1100.

I wrote a review on it some time back.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....ort+shield

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
07-09-2016 01:16 PM
lol Offline
Break-In Period

usa
(07-08-2016 08:22 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  This is a tough one for anyone to answer. Like seats, picking a good windshield has a lot to do with a number of individual variables. What works for one person might be a poor choice for someone else.

I use the Plexistar 2 for long road trips and winter riding and it works great for me. I'm 5'8" and the way mine is mounted on my '13 CB, the turbulent air hits the top 1" of my helmet. That puts my torso and head in the calm air behind the shield at highway speeds. Very comfortable on long road trips. I especially like that coverage extends out to my hands.

You, being 4" taller might not have the same results. Depends on how much of that 4" is in your legs and how much is in your upper body. The Plexi 2 has quite a bit of adjustment in it to compensate. Mine sits right on the headlight and is raked back to just clear the gauges. If you look at the sample pic on the NC website, you'll see they can be mounted higher if needed or angled more vertically.

Bottom line, the Plexi 2 is a great full coverage, x-country shield for me. Hard to say if it would be the best one for you. The only other "big" shield I've seen on these bikes is the Slipstreamer S-00. I haven't used one, but I think someone else on the forum has one and could chime in.
i have plexi 2 on my cb i am 5 8 i see over the top by 4 inch and that screen at max fitment on bars i think the slip stream is 3 inch longer tham plexi i got a old wind shield of a bat wing i going to cut and drill and ad to my plezi 2 dam i miss my r1150rt some times when i hiway
07-09-2016 02:16 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
According to the website specs, the Plexi 2 is 20" tall x 29.5" wide. The Slipstreamer S-00 is 21" tall x 35" wide. Looks like the S-00 also has lowers that dip down behind the front turn signals.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
07-09-2016 04:06 PM
Dave Swanson Offline
1st Service Completed

Northern Illinois
I have a Slipstreamer S00 you can have for the price of shipping. Shipping to California from Illinois is quite expensive for some reason. I would assume ~100

2014 Deluxe
07-10-2016 07:31 AM
TCinNC Offline
1st Service Completed

New Bern, NC
(07-08-2016 04:14 PM)bflint Wrote:  I want to ride xcountry (west to east to west) on my 2014 CB1100DX but need to figure out how to not get battered to death by the wind at 65-80 mph.

I'm 6' 0'' tall, wear a 3/4 Bell Mag-9 helmet, and have 18" tall MRA VFVT V-Flow windshield w/ built-in spoiler. The wind slightly lifts my 3/4 helmet and my shoulders start getting tired of the battering after about 100 miles.

I tried my friends full helmet and it provides minimal help.

I'm thinking about the National Cycle Plexistar 2. I actually found a person selling a 2013 CB1100 with this exact windshield, so I parked mine next it and did avisual comparison of the windshields. The top of the Plexistar 2 seem to be at the same height as mine, but its wider.

I was thinking I could add a spoiler to the Plexistar 2 to help increase the height a bit.

Does anybody have a suggested windscreen configuration for xcountry biking (no .. I can't drive 55mph as Sammy Hagar suggested).

Regards .. your CB brother.
I just installed a Plexistar 2 on my 14 yesterday, I have been running the MRA Vario Touring Screen VTNB. My initial impression is favorable, still a bit of wind noise ( I wear ear plugs). That being said I will also install a MRA X-Creen Touring Spoiler on the Plexistar. I had one of those on a Suzuki V-Strom I traded for the CB. With almost unlimited adjustments on the X-Creen you can fine tune it exactly how you want. I was able to ride the Strom at 65mph with my Shoei RF 1100 shield all the up quite comfortably.
07-11-2016 11:11 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>