Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1st Service
Firstfour Offline
1st Service Completed

St. Augustine, FL
RE: 1st Service
(07-31-2013 07:20 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Damn that was long. Short answer to your question no, I don't expect things to get any easier for the dealer, or better for the customer.We are all just getting by.

Tremendous insight. Sad, but true. So we go on, knowing the way things are, and having fun inspite.
07-31-2013 07:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cbfan Offline
1st Service Completed

Texas
You know what is sad? Our Metric bikes are built to almost last forever and are advertised that way. So you buy a nice bike that does everything you want it to and take really good care of it because you want to keep it for a long time..............well guess what, most dealers will not work on a bike that is over 10 years old. Just like washers, dryer, TV's and so on.............when they break, we replace them.................we have turned into a throw away society.
07-31-2013 07:49 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
There is a dedicated old bike crowd out there (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://vjmc.org/event_support.php ) that keep these ol' gals running. Right now I'm one of them. Smile The Guzzi crowd is full of old geezers with old bikes that run like swiss watches. I firmly believe that Japanese bikes built in the 70's to now will run forever if taken care of. These things are well built. For the most part this is true of bikes that come out of Europe too. Even newer Harleys are built very well. The problem is that there seems to be fewer folks willing to ride them and keep them up so you end up with ol' farts like me with multiple bikes. I can't keep the ones I have happy with road time. Maybe when I retire.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
07-31-2013 08:29 PM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

Lots of insight into dealers in this thread. Personally, I hate to fool with any of them unless its a warranty issue no matter if its Ford, Honda or whomever. Otherwise, I will figure it out myself most of the time.

I have a bit of an anomaly in my area. We have an independent shop that only works on HD's. They are a bunch of older guys that have forgotten more than most HD dealers know and have been in business every since I can remember. They stay covered up and charge a fraction of what the HD stealers do. People come from all over to have work done. Its a kinda hole in the wall type place that does not advertise but relies on word of mouth. If I get a CB I am going to miss that place. They do sell tires and will mount them for you if you bring it in to them no matter what brand of motorcycle you have.

Seems like this formula would work for Japanese brand bikes too but maybe they just dont need as much work I dont know. I sure dont like the idea that a dealer wont fool with you if your motorcycle is over 10 years old. Thats when you are really going to need some work.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
08-01-2013 06:17 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Truth is most dealerships these days are not owned by motorcyclists, rather they are owned by businessmen. For them it's simply columns of profit and loss and nothing more. My brother and I rode motorcycles to work everyday, as did several of the other employees in the shops we worked at in the 70s and 80s. When I pull up to my local dealership there is only 1 employee motorcycle rider, the Service Manager BJ. Rides every day rain or shine. Good guy. The owner, the parts people, the salesmen, none of them ride...and it's evident by how they treat their customers.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-01-2013 06:34 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
I must be lucky. My dealer's mechs are older guys, like me, and have been working on Hondas a LONG time. They work on older ones too. There is a really nice CB 750 in for some service. Not sure what year, around '75 maybe.

Their shop looks kinda hold in the wall though, not like the Lexus service bays. I can live with it. Lower overhead.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
08-01-2013 06:40 AM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

(08-01-2013 06:34 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Truth is most dealerships these days are not owned by motorcyclists, rather they are owned by businessmen. For them it's simply columns of profit and loss and nothing more. My brother and I rode motorcycles to work everyday, as did several of the other employees in the shops we worked at in the 70s and 80s. When I pull up to my local dealership there is only 1 employee motorcycle rider, the Service Manager BJ. Rides every day rain or shine. Good guy. The owner, the parts people, the salesmen, none of them ride...and it's evident by how they treat their customers.

Thats a valid point. My local Honda/Kaw dealer went out of business last year and has been there since I was a kid. It did change hands a couple of times though. There is a lot dealerships could learn to retain business. I wont even get started on how poorly I think HD stealers are because it would be a hour long rant. I can tell you I will NEVER spend another penny with them. Doesnt have to do much with the product as such but more about the attitude of how you are treated.

I think if you are lucky enough to live as long as some of us have you have enough experience in life in general as to how people should be treated. When I have a good experience somewhere with an employee I try my best to call the manager or boss and tell them about it. Too many times they only hear about the bad stuff.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
08-01-2013 06:50 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Milestone Thread (Take 2)
Go Django! Interesting it doesn’t sa . . .Django — 11:40 PM
Sundays with Cheryl