Poll: Wanderer or Route Rider
Wanderer
Route Rider
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wanderer or Route Rider ...which type are you?
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: Wanderer or Route Rider ...which type are you?
(08-16-2016 07:36 AM)The ferret Wrote:  
(08-16-2016 07:20 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Most people like to socialize and they wonder what's wrong with a guy who prefers to be a "lone wolf"; me, 'Nuff said.

Ahh Ulve....Yet you visit motorcycle forums everyday to communicate with others, and to seek validation for your ideas, methods and riding style. Methinks you are not the "lone wolf" you think you are. Wink (and there's nothing wrong with that)

Most Harley riders claim to be "Lone Wolves" even when riding in a pack of 300. It's natural to seek the company of others.
I said I liked to ride alone, I didn't claim to be an ascetic.

I like people, but generally from a distance or under controlled circumstances, such as in business relationships. People need one other, but not for validation. That's a psychological phenomenon, very similar to peer pressure. It's very powerful in youth but in some people, like me, it begins to diminish with age and life experience.
08-16-2016 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frulk Offline
High Mileage

Utah
Wow. Another high quality thread/discussion with polite, insightful responses. Thanks

Prior to me coming here I was checking a thread on another site to see how it was going. Was already deleted by the moderator because the subject matter drove members over the edge in their responses and well, the thread being deleted says it all.

I voted Wanderer. I have a trip coming up. I have a general idea of how I'm going to ride. It's approx. 800 miles round trip. Undecided if I'm going clockwise or counterclockwise and I'm 2 days out from launch. That's also how my last 1200 mile trip went.

I LIKE riding alone. It frees me of ALL responsibility such as scheduled gas/food stops/set miles or target miles/destination per day and so forth. I also like CAMPING off the bike, which here out west gives me even MORE freedom because of all the public-lands. Starting to get dark? No problem just start looking for a quiet place off the side of the road.

I don't GROUP ride. Don't like it for any number of reasons. I Have the opportunity to participate in many group rides during the season. Never have gone on one.

I do ride with a small CREW. 3 friends who have a long history of riding. Two who between them have close to 70 years of riding experience and 40+ different bikes under them. In the past two years all four of us have been on the road together twice. most of the time we number 2-3. As of this year I've been spending time with my daughter riding, usually with one of the crew so no more than 3 of us out and about. mostly on back roads with little traffic on the weekends.

On a side note, Ulvetanna wrote " People need one another, but not for validation. That's a psychological phenomenon, very similar to peer pressure." One of my riding buddies is a psychiatrist with 30 years in the business. Occasionally he will speak of something he sees a lot of in his profession, that of people letting others opinions and certain possessions of theirs define (validate if you will) them. On occasions when he see's a rider on a certain brand, with the bikes brand name or initials on the riders boots, jeans, T-shirt, head scarf, jacket, sunglasses, wallet, phone cover etc. he will remark "that boy has been defined".
08-16-2016 07:10 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
That sounds a lot like me, Frulk. I have a small group of friends that I ride with occasionally. On a few occasions we've even done some major road trips. But the majority of the time I ride by myself. They're mostly route riders and wandering makes them nervous Big Grin I don't hold it against them.

Over the decades I've ridden and camped alone over much of the western U.S. and Canada and I love it. Rather than it being a solitary, anti-social experience, I find that when I'm riding alone I meet all kinds of interesting people that I probably wouldn't meet when riding in a group. Just last year I was sitting around a campfire with a guy on a riding vacation from Germany, a retired couple on a Gold Wing and a pair of hilarious kids from Kentucky that had just graduated from high school and were riding a pair of beat up old Yamahas across the country just for fun. That hardly ever happens when I'm on a group ride.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
08-16-2016 11:25 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
am I am route rider? lol

Routes for next months Men's Fall Trip in SE Ohio/WV

each days route is a different color, basing out of Marietta, Ohio

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-27-2016 12:44 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Looks like you're a wandering route rider

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
08-28-2016 10:40 AM
Rebel73 Offline
High Mileage

Lost Angels, Ca
As a member of a club, it's obvious that I enjoy riding in groups. The guys I ride with are all sensible and we don't do any stupid crap. We always ride staggered with a good following distance. I enjoy the camaraderie and riding down the road with a bunch of like-minded individuals is an awesome feeling. Riding alone is great, too. To each his own.

- Rob

Mods: Guhl ECU flash, Over Racing Slip-ons, Custom paint, Chic Sport Trunk Seat, Road Comet 1, Hakofugu short front fender, rear fender removed, Motech black engine guards, Renthal low bars, Moto Delux bar-end mirrors, RLETs, headlight grill, Triumph fork gaiters[size=small][/size]
08-31-2016 11:43 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lol yes but does your group run routes or just wander willy nilly?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-31-2016 01:46 PM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
I'm generally a wanderer but head west or northwest of Boston. I will study google maps and look for roads I haven't explored yet but it may take me a while to get there since I don't plan specific routes. I avoid traffic areas and towns with 2 or more stoplights, lol.

My preference is to ride alone so I can ride at my own pace, stop whenever I want to take a break or take a different rout on a whim. I've ridden at a safe distance behind groups (3+ riders and usually Harleys) and most of the time I would judge their riding behavior as unsafe IMO because they are clustered too close together.

I'm not an outgoing person but if I'm approached by another rider on one of my frequent stops for coffee or rest I will engage in conversation.

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 02:48 PM by curlyjoe.)
08-31-2016 02:46 PM
Rebel73 Offline
High Mileage

Lost Angels, Ca
(08-31-2016 01:46 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Lol yes but does your group run routes or just wander willy nilly?
We usually have planned out routes - just easier and safer that way.

- Rob

Mods: Guhl ECU flash, Over Racing Slip-ons, Custom paint, Chic Sport Trunk Seat, Road Comet 1, Hakofugu short front fender, rear fender removed, Motech black engine guards, Renthal low bars, Moto Delux bar-end mirrors, RLETs, headlight grill, Triumph fork gaiters[size=small][/size]
09-01-2016 01:19 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
I generally plan the routes I will take and know my destination however i do sometimes change course to visit friends or stop in locations where i generally never drive there on purpose.
right now the big plan is a vacation ride to Barber vintage bike week next month.
my brother is an official there so we will get a free pass and will stay at his house and my mom's plus visit more family in the hills of north Alabama.
should be fun.

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
09-03-2016 08:17 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM