Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question for those that ride without helmets
quail Offline
1st Service Completed

Neville pa
Question for those that ride without helmets
When your running 60+ and that big fat Bumblebee or June bug slams you in the forehead, do you ever think a helmet may have made that experience just a tad better?

I live in PA and yes I have ridden without a helmet. No it does not make me enjoy the ride any more than when I have my full face helmet on. Just me. I like that bubble my head is living in when I ride. Plus if I crash people can say "Oh yea I saw him before".
07-19-2016 10:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: Question for those that ride without helmets
ROFL I'll be interested in the answer to that question too.
07-20-2016 01:51 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
The wife and I took the Spyder to NH a couple of weeks ago and didn't wear helmets while we were there (never on 2 wheels). She sits a couple inches higher than me leaving her much more vulnerable to getting bug whacked, me, I have a shield Smile

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
07-20-2016 03:20 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Chapomis, you've avoided the question! Did you get home at the end of the day to find your wife mildly concussed and complaining from bug strikes?
07-20-2016 03:46 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
(07-20-2016 03:46 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  Chapomis, you've avoided the question! Did you get home at the end of the day to find your wife mildly concussed and complaining from bug strikes?

Yes, but she was still smiling Big Grin

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
07-20-2016 03:49 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Ah ... she had a large bug jammed between her teeth?
07-20-2016 04:10 AM
dwcurton Offline
Break-In Period

League City Texas
Funny you should ask. I had some unidentified bug (or bird, heck, it was BIG) slam me right on the nose while doing 50+ mph on my commute in this morning. And I was wearing a helmet. Open-faced helmet, so no, simply wearing a helmet doesn't make the experience better. Full face, yeah maybe. But I generally leave the shield in the up position all the time anyway, leaving me vulnerable to bugs and such.

I've made (very) short trips without a helmet. Generally just when rearranging bikes in the garage and I feel the need to zip around the block once or twice. Anything above 40 and the wind nose is just too much to be completely open. A windshield helps tremendously, but a helmet even more.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 01:13 PM by The ferret.)
07-20-2016 01:07 PM
Frulk Offline
High Mileage

Utah
I ride with a full face helmet and sunglasses ALL the time. In town and below 60 I almost always have the visor up. Above 60-65mph I usually run with it down. 3-4 days ago I was doing 30 mph on a freeway frontage road when a full grown dragon fly hit me head-on between the eyes just a mm or two above my sunglasses. First time ever and a pretty good thump it was. Body was about the size of my small finger. Up until then I only remember a singular wasp schwacking me inside the helmet. Worst part was it must have been stunned because it fell into the helmet around my mouth and tried to climb back out. I raised my head up and scooped/swiped it out underneath. Occasionally I hit a bug that must also be wearing a helmet because it sounds like a small rock hitting the shell.
07-20-2016 03:53 PM
riceburner Offline
1st Service Completed

pa
Since i don't have a windshield on my CB yet,yes sometimes i get whacked pretty good,bumblebees etc.,once the windshield goes on that problem will be non-existent ,as it was on my recently traded on the CB Vulcan cruiser.The sportster has a windshield and no bug in the face problems with it either.Carry a full face helmet in case i get caught in a major rain storm or for some strange reason end up on the interstate in heavy rush hour traffic,not likely,try to avoid major highways.Worst problem ever was wasp or hornet that went up the sleeve of my leather jacket and kept stinging until i got stopped and got the jacket off,never did see which particular bug it was.Couple days later left work and went to emer room,got a shot of antibiotics and a prescript,doc said if arm was any worse they would have admitted me and done 24 hour IV antibiotics,secondary bacterial infection from the sting.Next year another up the sleeve sting,went to the doc and got preventative antibiotic prescript,no problem,now i ride in a t-shirt,unless it's too cold for bugs.
07-20-2016 04:21 PM
uscgmac Offline
Running Like a Top

Long Island N.Y.
I've worn half helmets on cruisers with no windshield and found anything over 55mph was not enjoyable at all. I wear either a 3/4 helmet with a drop down face shield or a full face all the time on my CB. On my Harley I use the half helmet , Dot only. My Harley has a full fairing bat wing so plenty of protection there.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

2014 CB1100
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
07-27-2016 10:25 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM