Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Forum protocol and focus
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Forum protocol and focus
Lately, I've found myself pulled in a number of different directions, often resulting in spending less time here on the forum. This ends up placing a larger burden on The ferret and Cormanus. I really can't go on enough about what a fantastic job these guys do around here on a daily basis. But I'm sure that they would appreciate a bit more input from me at times, including days like today. With that in mind, I wanted to take a moment to reach out to everyone with a few thoughts that I'd like to share.

I know that plenty of people here on the forum truly care about one another — you can tell just by reading the exchanges that take place on a daily basis. However, I also want to remind everyone that the focus of this forum is pretty narrow, especially compared to a number of other forums out there. Were we to focus on something less specific, we might have far more members signed up at this point. However I also feel that the overall quality of the conversation that takes place here would be overrun with a lot of noise and accompanied by numerous problems that other forums tend to experience far too frequently. Honestly, it creates a bit of a Catch-22 situation as the quality of conversation ultimately creates a desire to discuss more than just motorcycles for many of us.

But this place was basically created for the discussion of CB1100s in particular and motorcycling in general and not much more. I'm sharing all of this with you all because the rules were bent a bit today — out of respect for the situation that one member has found himself in and who definitely has my sympathy. In that light it might seem a bit inappropriate to some of you for me to be posting this this note, but i feel that it is very important because human nature being what it is often leads to some rather trying situations that need to be dealt with by myself or by those who have so graciously agreed to help me with the task of keeping this place running smoothly.

As has been previously stated numerous times in the past, my intent is to keep the focus of this forum pretty squarely on the subject matter stated above. I realize this provides the opportunity to overlap the discussion with a lot of other things, and the temptation to discuss those other things here on the forum grows with time as people get to know one another better. While an exception might be made every now and then, by and large, we stick to the core focus. It is inevitable that a some point a person is going to wind up disappointed or feeling that they've been treated unfairly due to their thread being deleted. Perhaps they'll point to past actions such as the decision that was made today. My response will probably be similar to the one I've shared in the past: the moderators and I are human, while we do the best we can, we aren't perfect.

I don't want this post to come across as discouraging to the formation of friendships here on the forum. (Reading that back to myself, I realize just how silly it sounds.) In fact, one of the most rewarding things that I've experienced since starting this place is seeing the number of folks that have met in person, whether to get together for a ride or perhaps just to say hello and talk about motorcycles and whatever else they manage to find in common.

I started this forum with a specific purpose as mentioned above and that is truly where my interest lies. The thought has occurred to me that someday a point in time might arrive where there is almost nothing more left for us to talk about when it comes to bikes. Should that actually happen then this place will pretty much have run its course. Hopefully such a day is a long way down the road. I do fully expect that a number of the friendships spawned by this forum will outlive the forum itself and I don't see that as a bad thing at all. With that in mind, what I would like to encourage is an sharing of information between members who have forged friendships that they value and are wanting to explore beyond the narrowly focused discussion format provided here. In such cases, using Private Messages to swap phone numbers, email addresses, or even facebook groups would provide a means for exchanges to take place outside of this forum when appropriate.

Thanks for taking the time to read through all of this. Hopefully no one reads anything more into what I've shared other than what it is: a basic (and admittedly rather long-winded) reminder about forum protocol which seemingly is not always quite so black and white. Obviously I found this to be bit hard to discuss in a succinct fashion so I compensated by rambling on as a result.

Guth

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
08-16-2016 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
RE: Forum protocol and focus
We probably don't say it often enough, but thanks to you, Ferret and Cormanus for everything you do. Your deeds on this forum don't go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
08-16-2016 10:11 PM
kvdv Offline
1st Service Completed

U.S.
Guth -
Even though I'm not aware of what prompted your message, I'd say that everything you said was spot on and describes perfectly why I love and appreciate this forum so much. I've not come across another like it. Keep up the great work, and thanks for saying what you feel needed to be said, whatever may have led to it.
Best, KvdV / Seattle
08-17-2016 12:46 PM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
The CB1100 is a delightful machine and this forum is an enriching, genial and fun community. Thanks to all who devote their time managing this corner of the interwebz and also those who organize rides, contribute ideas, share experiences, post photos and the rest. It's plain what sparked this and I appreciate the inner conflict that keeping to the rules can create.
08-17-2016 07:29 PM
Inhouse Bob Offline
Road Warrior

NoVA
Quick Desinned, post a photo of your bike! Thumbs Up

Thanks for running a great show, Guth.
08-17-2016 08:18 PM
Retsel Offline
High Mileage

Pacifica
Forum protocol and focus
Well stated. I appreciate the effort required to maintain a quality forum such as this and am honored to take part.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
08-17-2016 09:53 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
It's fun to read all these comments...ma . . .pdedse — 06:56 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
FWIW a motorcycle i buy represents m . . .Ollie — 06:24 AM