Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
GW X-11 Project Thread
gripwolrd Offline
New To The Forum

Switzerland
GW X-11 Project Thread
All,

I didn't know where to put this, but I wanted to create a thread to document my progress on the X-11 and any sort of build or story with it. It might be an CB1100SF but i put it in here as its a bit different to a typical CB.

The X-11 is my first real street bike, although I've ridden many different bikes and used to have a motorcross when I was younger. I'm a tall guy and was looking for a bike which was big and a naked, and also a bit modern. I've ridden a variety of power levels and wanted something with power I wouldn't get bored off right away.

So far I've had the bike about 3 weeks and I'm really loving it; i've almost forgot about my cars. I'm surprise how easy it is to ride, how smooth it is and the power is great.

The previous owner had made a few modifications on the bike:

- Wilbers adjustable rear shock
- Spiegler progressive front springs
- Spiegler upper triple clamp cover and handle bar risers
- LSL 22mm handlebar
- K&N air filter

A few swiss rides:

I was a bit skeptical about the Dual CBS brakes at first but for the street it feels very good and also feels safe. But I wonder how they will work on the track when the rear tire is has very minimal loading on it and with such a high rear brake balance.

But I will find out next month when I take it to the track to test it out in "stock" form before I begin making some modifications.

The first thing I did to the bike was remove the centre stand (1.85kg). The bike is a heavy thing:

256.5 kg with full fuel tank (and centre stand Tongue)
47.8% front weight percentage

(all measured on automotive scales to ±0.5kg)

My plan is to try and reduce the weight as much as possible but it may be harder than I expect. My first plan is to remove the linking system for the Dual CBS (after the track day) and then change front wheel and battery. I weighed to front wheel (with discs) at a whopping 7.95kg, while a friends Marchesini wheel was just over 3kg! For the rear this will be a bit more complex due to all the hardware involved.

Wheel masses:

Front Complete: 12.1 kg
Front Rim: 7.95 kg

Rear Complete: 18.7 kg
Rear Rim: 12.x kg

(the rims include discs and/or sprockets)

Then I changed the tires from Pirelli Angel GT to Dunlop Sportmaxx Racer to go for a less touring setup to a more performance and track ready one. The compound feels quiet soft but shouldnt be as aggressive as a proper semi slick.

The bikes quite different with these tires. They feel taller and it wants to fall into the corners and lean. They give me a bit more confidence to lean the bike over.
Very happy with the change.
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: GW X-11 Project Thread
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Not sure what an X11 is, but it sure isn't a CB110 so I guess you picked the right section to put it in.

Your intro confuses me a little. Do you have a CB1100?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-19-2016 04:47 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
The X11 is a CB1100SF made from 1999-2001 according to Wiki. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_X11

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
08-19-2016 04:54 PM
gripwolrd Offline
New To The Forum

Switzerland
(08-19-2016 04:54 PM)popgun Wrote:  The X11 is a CB1100SF made from 1999-2001 according to Wiki. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_X11

Exactly, its labelled the CB1100SF but its not really what you would consider a proper CB1100. Its more of a naked CBR1100XX Blackbird.

Unfortunately there aren't many around and as such there isnt much of an active following for them.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2016 01:03 AM by gripwolrd.)
08-20-2016 01:02 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
So I guess you might call it a distant cousin ? Sorry, welcome, look forward to following the build.

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2016 02:36 AM by Chapomis.)
08-20-2016 02:35 AM
gripwolrd Offline
New To The Forum

Switzerland
(08-20-2016 02:35 AM)Chapomis Wrote:  So I guess you might call it a distant cousin ? Sorry, welcome, look forward to following the build.

I guess so! It probably shares nothing with a CB1100 but honda decided to call it so, but with an SF designation.
08-21-2016 11:02 AM
gripwolrd Offline
New To The Forum

Switzerland
A small update:

Friend can get Lithium batteries for cheap, so I decided to capitalize on this and replace my original (almost dead) lead acid one for a smaller, much lighter, Lithium one.

Original Setup:

The original YTX12-BS battery weighs a modest 4.2 kg; has 10Ah capacity and 180 CCA.

The new battery I'm testing is a SHIDO LTX4L-BS and weighs just 0.4kg and has 1.6Ah capacity and 95 CCA. The numbers may not seem to match very well but so far I've had no issues and it seems to crank the engine more effortlessly than the original one. Only time will tell.

The KERB weight of the bike should now be approximately: 256.6 - 1.8 (centre stand) - 3.8 (battery delta) = 250.0 kg

Should be able to break the 250 kg barrier soon.
08-22-2016 11:53 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The moral of the story for me is, so . . .m in sc — 01:51 PM
Talk about dreaming of owning something . . .The ferret — 01:42 PM