Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ducati (ex) owners?
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: Ducati (ex) owners?
(08-26-2016 10:38 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Long held reputations are usually earned.
You are becoming wise with your years.

I didn't see anything remotely approaching a slight or insult or slander in this thread so I don't know quite what is happening here.

The OP wanted to know about Ducatis. They are built for style and sex appeal, and are thus attractive to a certain kind of rider, generally one who doesn't use a spreadsheet to choose a bike (thank you to Capo for that one), but instead uses his or her heart.

But the contents of a man's heart are known only to the Almighty, whereas the spreadsheet is known to all.

I do know, although I am not as wise as the The ferret (nor as omniscient as the Almighty) that it is absolutely human nature for each one of us to feel he has the moral high ground well-staked.

Is it not true that the term "heartfelt" is generally construed as meaning the person described is a loving, feeling individual who will eschew material things for those of deep intrinsic value?

I can only say that the spreadsheet says Ducatis do not have the same inherent material value as do their Japanese counterparts.

And we know the spreadsheets can show this kind of thing. Cost of ownership, reliability, durability are all things more readily associated with Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki, probably in that order.

How about "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda" as compared to this Ducati ad copy, from some time ago:

Ducati is for the connoisseur. The rider who demands quality craftsmanship. The rider who wants a machine, not a toy. Is this you? Then Ducati is for you. Definitely!

Ducati, you see, is made in Italy where old-world craftsmanship is still a fine art. The men who make Ducati take pride in their work. They don’t hurry. They don’t cut corners. They lavish skillful attention on every detail.

I am not sure that I do see, but at my age, I am willing to take some things on faith.

To speak of the Ducati marque, especially in this day and age, is to speak of affluence, or at the very least, a profligate spender. Just to show up on any late-model Ducati at the local roadhouse instantly says "this rider has money". It's no different than rolling up to the valet with a new Tesla, autopilot and all.

So going into any discussion regarding Ducati must needs admit the cachet of wealth, accompanied with the Ducati mythology of a bunch of old men slaving tirelessly over a drill press or grindstone, putting the final touches of old-world craftsmanship on a one-of-a-kind machine (not a toy, mind you, like those Japanese bikes).

The Ducati is not a practical motorcycle, as Capo has intimated. Perhaps it does speak to the heart, or to the id, ego, or superego.

I can only say one thing; when I decided to buy a superbike, I could have afforded any bike out there, including the Panigale, Aprilia RSV, Yamaha YZF-R1M, and so on. I am retired and wanted a bike and figured I can't take it with me, so why not splurge?

The Ducati was not on my radar for more than few moments.

My heart, ironically, is regularly informing me that my 30th Anniversary ZX-10R was the right move.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2016 02:55 PM by Ulvetanna.)
08-26-2016 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
The Guzzi crowd, from time to time, will make a comment on the order of "if you want a perfect bike get a Honda", "my Guzzi has character, unlike the Honda" etc. Then I get to tell them my other bike is a Honda.... Big Grin

Most folks don't mean a thing by it, the "fill in the brand" just does it for them and they are really glad they found a bike they can really live with. Some however do take it a bit further and other members are all too willing to jump on them for it.

I got my you know what handed to me last weekend when I asked this Harley guy why he didn't wear a helmet when it started raining. I thought he was ready to invite me outside! He assumed that since I know him (very very little) I should know better than to ask that question - well he made a bunch of assumptions about my train of thought while accusing me of having assumptions (partially true, but then I was really interested in why 'cause I've gotten some interesting answers to that question).

I don't get Ducati's (have not ridden one either), don't really buy into the Italian mystique and don't buy into the perfect bike is made by Honda or that Italy has motorcycle elves. I do think that some bikes do a certain job better than others and if your riding fits that niche then you will do well to see what is popular in the niche as it may serve your needs very well too. If you happen to be a weird or cranky (or both) old fart a Guzzi may be just your cup of tea. Celebrate

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
08-26-2016 04:17 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
My family (13 riding members) is certainly experienced with Italian motorcycles and character (also American, British, Japanese German and Austrian). My first street bike was an Aermachhi. My dad and my brother both owned Moto Guzzis, my son and a nephew both owned Ducati's. Most were as reliable as their Japanese counter parts ...sorta. Only 1 that I can recall had to be brought home on a trailer (my son's Ducati), but the nephews Ducati , a similar model, never broke down. Some needed more "loving care" than the Japanese bikes we have had, but all were a pleasure to own and ride within the limits we placed on them.

The other day I was having a conversation with another nephew (2 KTM's plus A vfr 500, a couple of Suzuki SV's and others I am sure but can't recall at this moment) and I was expressing the value of a good dealer network. He wondered why that would make any difference as he never needed a dealer for anything beyond the initial purchase. I reminded him that just because you don't use something doesn't mean it doesn't have importance or value. He said like what? I said well, I've been riding 51 years and I've never used my motorcycle insurance yet I purchase it every year, and may need it someday. I said I've never tested the protection of my full face helmet or armored gear yet I wear it nearly every ride and may go down, and need it someday. A dealer is the same thing. I may be riding in the middle of nowhere and my bike break down and need repair and I'd prefer it that there was a dealer nearby to get me back on the road again. That is my biggest hang up about buying Italian or German, Austrian or British for that matter. I travel in places those marquees don't have dealerships. In this respect Harley provides the best service for their customers. There are Harley dealerships literally everywhere. Unfortunately they don't make a bike that suits me. I hope they do someday.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-26-2016 05:00 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
Having a dealer network is a big deal to many riders. It is brought up in the Guzzi forums a lot. I know of many guys that pass on the Guzzi because of that. On the other hand, the members are very open about the problem and tell prospective buyers that they should be expected to do a lot of their own work on the bike due to the lack of dealers (and where there are good dealers there seems to be a fair amount of Guzzi owners).

This tends to filter out many owners so that a particular type of person owns Guzzi's. They tend to be a bit more eccentric an independent on the whole. And cheap. Big Grin I've never seen so many older models run on tours regularly like Guzzi's either.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
08-26-2016 09:16 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
It's really disappointing that Piaggio has such difficulty fielding a stable and representative dealer network for the Guzzi brand in the US. I think they're outstanding motorcycles and I'm fairly convinced a large cross section of riders would be very happy to own one if dealerships were widespread and robust. The marque deserves better. Too bad we keep beating this dead horse.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
08-26-2016 09:38 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
From what I hear (from several sources), Piaggio treats its' dealers like crap and have pushed several out of business (or at least dropped any products from Piaggio). Several riders have said they love the bikes, hate the brand. Also not a good sign. But things seem to be looking up now (Piaggio sent me a rollerizer kit for the Griso when my dealer sent them photo's of the tappets banging themselves to death - well out of warranty; worth about $1200, when Honda didn't give me the time of day when my XR650L burnt its' self up at 1600 miles due to a dealer or manufacturing problem so personally I think Piaggio is doing OK).

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
08-27-2016 12:18 PM
sharkey Offline
Break-In Period

DFW
Ducati (ex) owners?
I was thinking of a Hyperstrada before I bought the CB. I go to the forum and some issues scared me off. Plus the CB was 1500 cheaper and it is a Honda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-28-2016 03:15 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(08-25-2016 02:41 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Back on topic, I've a friend who has a Ducati Monster which he rides lots and loves. It's a sweet motorcycle.

I heard the other day that my mate has replaced the Monster with a CB500X. I emailed him to ask why and, edited slightly, this is what he had to say:

Quote:My bike tech "Red" reckons that Italian bikes are like Italian women -- beautiful when they are young. Perhaps he was a little jaundiced when my machine refused to talk to his $8K worth of bike interrogating computer stuff to relinquish the secret of its intermittent fault which would see 1 pot drop out totally. He was unable to fix it so it had to go the the dealer at my cost. They did not admit it but I reckon the bike wouldn't talk to their computers either. The bike's ECU would normally advise what/where the fault was. As it turned out they eventually got it right by one intervention after another - guided trial and error—finally informing me that it wasn't covered by warranty (of which there were 2 weeks left) as it was caused by "dirty" fuel. Of course, they were all very friendly—'we're all good guys'—while they laid on the bovine faecal matter with a trowel.

I took it round to the Honda dealer and traded it on a demo CB500X, a delightful bike which (fingers crossed) is still going.

Turns out I was wrong: he wasn't at all happy with it.
09-06-2016 10:50 PM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
I guess this is a bit off-topic, but apparently the FBI considers all registered owners of motorcycles as part of a gang list database.

They claim that motorcycle owners are 67% more likely to commit a crime and be involved in criminal activity vs the rest of the population.

Maybe there is some truth to the generalization that motorcyclists are an unsavory bunch. Even Honda owners! Smile

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
09-13-2016 06:23 AM
wildezt Offline
Running Like a Top

United States
have a Duc Diavel Carbon in the stable... it hates low rpms...the bike handles great though...fun to ride.

let's roll...The ferret
09-13-2016 02:39 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>