Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rear brake pad replacement
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Rear brake pad replacement
Short of draining the brake fluid, is there a simple method to retract the pistons so the pads can be pulled out? My caliper doesn't seem to want to budge open, and the service manual doesn't offer a clear explanation, at least for my amateur skills.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
08-25-2016 08:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Roadwarrior Offline
Break-In Period

Louisiana
RE: Rear brake pad replacement
Unless these are the screw in pistons, you can slide in a screw driver between the pad and rotor on the piston side and pry it to force the piston in. Be careful not to put a deep scratches in rotor. Very light surface scratches will not hurt it.
08-26-2016 05:35 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
If you have the caliper off but havent removed the old pads you can use a screwdriver between the old pads to force the pistons back in. I have also used a C clamp in years past, but that is usually not necessary. I would not use my rotor as a pry surface.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-26-2016 06:05 AM
kmoney Offline
High Mileage

Vancouver, BC
So the pads can be pulled out? You should be able to remove the calipers and pads with the brakes in their normal released position. From there all you need to do is use some wood and channel locks to compress the piston, or the screwdriver as mentioned above.
08-26-2016 06:30 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
When I pulled my wheels off for new tire mounting, I put wood wedges in the pads to keep them from moving out. And that pushed them in. Shouldn't be hard to push them in. Keep an eye on the reservoir level if you push them in all the way.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
08-26-2016 06:45 AM
MMC Offline
Running Like a Top

Fountain Valley California
Remove the reservoir cap to let pressure out while spreading brake pads...... Just be careful not to let any spill, that stuff destroys paint!

Sent from me......
08-26-2016 08:06 AM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
(08-26-2016 08:06 AM)MMC Wrote:  Remove the reservoir cap to let pressure out while spreading brake pads...... Just be careful not to let any spill, that stuff destroys paint!

Sent from me......

very good advice. I always cover my tank with cloth , then plastic , then cloth to keep any fluid from eating the paint .
also agree do not pry against the rotor . good luck

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
08-26-2016 08:31 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Funny, I just this moment finished installing EBC HH pads front and rear on my FZ8, and stainless lines all around. So the process is fresh in mind.

Remove your calipers. Otherwise you may damage something. Just take them off as you would if removing the front wheel.

Then you'll have complete access to the pad/piston area. You can use a wide pry bar, a wide screwdriver, or other suitable tool to press the pads/pistons back in.

I myself would not remove the reservoir cap; it's already vented above the accordion seal so unless you are planning on pressing those pistons all the way in (as far as they can go), there should be sufficient room in the reservoir to accommodate the backflow of fluid. After all, the pads were new and the brake fluid filled to the proper level at the factory.

It's just a messy, risky thing to do and you could really muck up your tank and paint with that brake fluid.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2016 08:38 AM by Ulvetanna.)
08-26-2016 08:38 AM
MMC Offline
Running Like a Top

Fountain Valley California
[quote='Ulvetanna' pid='147552' dateline='1472225913']

Remove your calipers. Otherwise you may damage something. Just take them off as you would if removing the front wheel.

Then you'll have complete access to the pad/piston area. You can use a wide pry bar, a wide screwdriver, or other suitable tool to press the pads/pistons back in.

I myself would not remove the reservoir cap; it's already vented above the accordion seal so unless you are planning on pressing those pistons all the way in (as far as they can go), there should be sufficient room in the reservoir to accommodate the backflow of fluid. After all, the pads were new and the brake fluid filled to the proper level at the factory.

Good thinking. I'm always thinking that the reservoir may have been topped off and may have too much fluid/pressure. You're right, it's not always necessary to remove cap.

Sent from me......
08-26-2016 08:51 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(08-26-2016 08:51 AM)MMC Wrote:  [quote='Ulvetanna' pid='147552' dateline='1472225913']

Good thinking. I'm always thinking that the reservoir may have been topped off and may have too much fluid/pressure. You're right, it's not always necessary to remove cap.

Sent from me......
It's just one less thing to think about, is all.
08-26-2016 08:54 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM