Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Oregon, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, etc
Blockhead Offline
Running Like a Top

Pittsburgh
RE: Oregon, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, etc
Great photos, sounds like a nice trip...What type of seat do you have on the bike or is that some sort of cushion? Looks comfy..
09-17-2016 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(09-17-2016 08:21 AM)pdedse Wrote:  Made it back last night from a 5,500 mile trip to Illinois and back. I'm going to take more time and post my favorite pics from the ride by day.

Started Aug 25...

Oregon / Washington, along the Columbia

Day 1
I rode from Gresham, OR to Coeur d'Alene. After 100 miles I started thinking, why am I doing this trip? Why not just fly out to see my mom and family? By day's end, that question seemed silly. I had 3 weeks plus if needed, just enjoy it all. If anything really came up, park bike somewhere and fly out to see her, worry about details later.

Headed east on hiway 90 and felt like a kid in a candy store with the outrageous views through the C.d'Alene Natl. Forest. Ride or stop to take photos? I could have stopped every 30 seconds, a theme for me throughout the trip,

I think you answered your own question about why not just fly? and in a grand way I might add Thumbs Up
There are few things in this life cooler than seeing this country from the seat of a good motorcycle

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 09:59 AM by The ferret.)
09-17-2016 09:55 AM
Jonz Offline
1st Service Completed

Astoria, OR
Great pics! Did you run into any weather or was it the perfect time of the year? Jon Z
09-17-2016 09:56 AM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
(09-17-2016 08:39 AM)The ferret Wrote:  oh my what great photos. Just beautiful. Glad you made it home safely and that the bike performed well.
Looking forward to more great pics from the trip.

Thanks Ferret! Good to be home, and yes the bike did awesome. More on that later.

(09-17-2016 08:49 AM)Blockhead Wrote:  Great photos, sounds like a nice trip...What type of seat do you have on the bike or is that some sort of cushion? Looks comfy..

Hey Block...my seat is stock. I chased after a comfortable seat when I had an 04 Sportster, bought a nice Mustang seat--it was better, but I'm not sure my rear end is really worth the $400+ I spent on that seat. Have done long trips to Mexico and Central America on my KLR650, and I decided to simply use a sponge pad for those trips. Felt fine! With the CB, I first put on 1" pad that's used for bleacher seating ($4.95 from Dick's Sporting goods...the red one under the black one) and a mc pad that's ribbed from Walmart (the black one, cost of $20). Together, they raised the seat height 1.5" compressed, helping my knee and hip angles (I'm 6'4"). So I'm out $25, but kept my stock seat. I do know that my rear is worth $25.

(09-17-2016 09:55 AM)The ferret Wrote:  ...
There are few things in this life cooler than seeing this country from the seat of a good motorcycle

Bingo! I might add any country!

To finish with Day 2...
Montana is none less spectacular than Idaho. It's really hard not to stop for photos at every bend, river, mountain, viewpoint. My only commitment for the day was to be in Billings by 7pm for dinner. The friend who introduced me to my wife and his family were putting me up for the night and chicken enchiladas were on the menu.
I didn't know it at the time, but I would backtrack for this range the next day...
My friend likes to have fun: cow in coffee!
It was good to catch up with Kurt. When he and I were students in Costa Rica back in 1988, he asked me if I didn't want to go to a play with a gal he knew from a friend back in the states. I said sure and that night I didn't know that I had just met my wife!

If people like mileage numbers:
Day 1: Gresham to C.d'Alene: 361
Day 2: C.d'Alene to Billings: 522
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 10:31 AM by pdedse.)
09-17-2016 10:05 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Thank you for sharing your adventure on these pages. I have thoroughly enjoyed following you along your way. Glad you're home safe, but looking forward to following the chronicles of your next trip which I hope is very soon.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
09-17-2016 11:13 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(09-17-2016 10:05 AM)pdedse Wrote:  I didn't know it at the time, but I would backtrack for this range the next day...

It was good to catch up with Kurt. When he and I were students in Costa Rica back in 1988, he asked me if I didn't want to go to a play with a gal he knew from a friend back in the states. I said sure and that night I didn't know that I had just met my wife!

Stunning picture and what a great story about meeting your wife!
This is a great thread

Defender of the Realm
09-17-2016 12:25 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
Kurt lives near the Yellowstone River in Billings. I asked him what it dumps into and he said the Missouri...which I believe ends up in the Mississippi, which I would encounter 4 days later! I like irrigation projects and think it's cool to see how just by using gravity you can make water do amazing things. Technology that's as old as the hills...haha, get it? old as the hills? Ok, I'll stop.
And this is what your humble looking water water irrigation system gets you
Kurt is a good dude who says he may have to buy an mc soon. You may be looking at Montana's next attourney general, says he's mulling over running.

Day 3: My intention was from Billings stay on hiway 90 into Wyoming to the Devil's Tower area. But Kurt insisted that I backtrack on 90 and turn south for Red Lodge in the Custer Gallatin Natl. Forest area, from where I could take in Beartooth pass on hiway 212. He said I wouldn't regret it. Two days prior the pass was closed because of snow, but we checked the weather the morning of, and it looked reasonable. Only thing was that he loaned me a pair of sweats, I couldn't find mine anywhere before leaving...only had shorts with me. But I think he was right, taking the extra day here made for a special ride.
Not much traffic going up, seemed like I was the only one out there for awhile
I forget how high the pass was, but something like 11,000
A bit windy, but wonderful views
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 03:01 PM by pdedse.)
09-17-2016 02:28 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
One of the great pleasures of this forum is the Seat Time reports. Thanks for the pics and story pdedse; they're great and I'm looking forward to more.
09-17-2016 03:05 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
Up top, there were about 15 miles of curves and then you start heading down the other side of the pass. There's even a gas station up there.

(09-17-2016 03:05 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  One of the great pleasures of this forum is the Seat Time reports. Thanks for the pics and story pdedse; they're great and I'm looking forward to more.

Thanks, Cormanus...I had been planning this trip for about a year, meaning, I went out and bought this bike, so it was very exciting to get out there and see places I've wanted to and know that I would have some family time in the midwest states of Illinois, Missouri, Kansas...and then in Colorado, too.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 03:09 PM by pdedse.)
09-17-2016 03:06 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
My wife and I have ridden all over the country and Bear Tooth Pass is her favorite road (as close to the Alps as you are liable to find in this country). We stayed at a B&B in Red Lodge (ate at a little Pizza place on Main Street) and the next day made our way back via Chief Joseph Pass. Special country out there.

Glad you listened to Kurt.

Defender of the Realm
09-17-2016 03:42 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… : . . .Nachodaddy — 04:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was a . . .GoldOxide — 04:34 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
First time out this season now that I . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,381

Full Statistics

>