Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rode a Thruxton R today.
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Rode a Thruxton R today.
I've tried to like the XSR, but besides the yellow paint scheme, it seems like they quit designing the bike halfway through. Particularly those boxes bolted on the side of the tank, the haphazard engine detailing, and the automobile sized radiator with the fill cap sticking out the side. I like that cowl, it definitely helps. Good performance from the triple, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
09-29-2016 04:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kmoney Offline
High Mileage

Vancouver, BC
RE: Rode a Thruxton R today.
(09-29-2016 04:19 PM)Capo Wrote:  I've tried to like the XSR, but besides the yellow paint scheme, it seems like they quit designing the bike halfway through. Particularly those boxes bolted on the side of the tank, the haphazard engine detailing, and the automobile sized radiator with the fill cap sticking out the side. I like that cowl, it definitely helps. Good performance from the triple, too.

You can get it without the speedblock colour scheme too (which I actually really like). It took a while to grow on me, but the grey colour scheme with the burgundy seat is actually quite attractive too.

I also don't like the boxes, and am amazed an aftermarket company hasn't come up with something to replace or cover them up.
09-29-2016 10:00 PM
Roger the shrubber Offline
1st Service Completed

Pacific Northwest
(09-29-2016 03:36 PM)Motogeezer1949 Wrote:  As many know from seeing them at the '16 CB Rally, I have a techno-retro XSR900 as well as the CB. I'm not a Thruxton fan particularly.
Between the XSR (which handles, stops -ABS- AND rips!) and the CB cafe'd to my satisfaction, I"m a happy camper Wink

As an owner of all three bikes, the CB, Thruxton R, and the XSR, I'm going to go with the XSR for everything that the other bikes don't have...

It has a raucous personality, it's fast, has tons of attitude. And it's a whole bunch of fun to ride.

I like the Powerbronze seat cowl on yours. What do you think of the fit and finish? Is the yellow a good match?
09-29-2016 11:34 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Rode a Thruxton R today.
Things kind of go off the rails for comparisons to the CB or Thruxton R when we start bringing in bikes like the XSR, which has little but some minor cues to the past to be remotely retro. I have a Speed Triple 1050 as well, might as well throw that in there. Spectacular bike, but complimentary rather than competitive to the CB1100, and retro only in spirit.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
Probably others.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2016 12:06 AM by Capo.)
09-30-2016 12:03 AM
1st Service Completed

Pacific Northwest
(09-30-2016 12:03 AM)Capo Wrote:  Things kind of go off the rails for comparisons to the CB or Thruxton R when we start bringing in bikes like the XSR, which has little but some minor cues to the past to be remotely retro. I have a Speed Triple 1050 as well, might as well throw that in there. Spectacular bike, but complimentary rather than competitive to the CB1100, and retro only in spirit.

As far as Yamaha's marketing-speak goes, the words "neoclassic" "sports heritage" and "retro" are tiresome and cliché.

The only things "retro" about the XSR are the color scheme on the 60th anniversary model, and the round headlight. Everything else,
from the bits and brackets, the alloy frame, and the engine design and architecture are as modern as can be. I almost didn't buy it because of all the hipster marketing nonsense.

That said, the CB1100 pulls off "retro" better than any bike in its class. It is real, unpretentious, and not a caricature of itself.

The Thruxton R and Bonneville T120 (I own both) while beautifully finished and executed in almost every detail, are cartoonishly "retro" with the fake Amal carbs, fake cam cover looking like it's got double overhead cams when in fact it is SOHC, and the engine covers being shaped to allude to preunit Triumphs which had cams and timing gears in the cases and a chain driven primary.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2016 09:36 AM by Roger the shrubber.)
09-30-2016 12:42 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Rode a Thruxton R today.
I'm curious, why did you buy two bikes you find 'cartoonish?' I agree with the all the marketing gobbledegook being tiresome, but it does seem to work, and in today's market, it is essential. Honda's total lack of it regarding the CB is what caused it to flatline in the market. It's a beautiful bike, heritage galore, decent performance.

Clarification on the XSR, I LOVE the Speed block paint scheme. Just not the rest of the style execution.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
Probably others.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2016 04:51 AM by Capo.)
09-30-2016 04:50 AM
Rebel73 Offline
High Mileage

Lost Angels, Ca
This is pretty much would I would do with a XSR900. Modern, retro, or whatever, I really like it.

- Rob

Mods: Guhl ECU flash, Over Racing Slip-ons, Custom paint, Chic Sport Trunk Seat, Road Comet 1, Hakofugu short front fender, rear fender removed, Motech black engine guards, Renthal low bars, Moto Delux bar-end mirrors, RLETs, headlight grill, Triumph fork gaiters[size=small][/size]
09-30-2016 08:21 AM
1st Service Completed

Pacific Northwest
(09-30-2016 04:50 AM)Capo Wrote:  I'm curious, why did you buy two bikes you find 'cartoonish?' I agree with the all the marketing gobbledegook being tiresome, but it does seem to work, and in today's market, it is essential. Honda's total lack of it regarding the CB is what caused it to flatline in the market. It's a beautiful bike, heritage galore, decent performance.

Clarification on the XSR, I LOVE the Speed block paint scheme. Just not the rest of the style execution.

Regarding the Bonnie and Thruxton, a few quirky cosmetic details don't diminish what are truly phenomenal bikes, and I bought both for less than what a new Gold Wing sells for.
09-30-2016 09:33 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(09-29-2016 03:36 PM)Motogeezer1949 Wrote:  As many know from seeing them at the '16 CB Rally, I have a techno-retro XSR900 as well as the CB. I'm not a Thruxton fan particularly.
Between the XSR (which handles, stops -ABS- AND rips!) and the CB cafe'd to my satisfaction, I"m a happy camper Wink

I really like the yellow retro YAMAHA graphics on that bike. Still, nothing gets it for me like the big air-cooled CB11. It's the 1969 big-block Malibu of street bikes. Very satisfying to look at, operate, and listen to.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
09-30-2016 12:56 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>