Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bad Accident
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
RE: Bad Accident
(12-07-2016 07:19 PM)DAC Wrote:  Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have to say I feel bad at having missed this! I have been an infrequent visitor lately but I read a couple posts that mentioned your accident and had to find out what happened. Please accept my late well wishes. Your positive attitude is amazing and inspiring. Hang in there!

Thanks DAC

I'm still riding a wheelchair - up and down hills :D - but I see the pelvis doc next week. That will mark the 12 week point and hopefully I'll be allowed to start walking.

Meanwhile my sights are set on a new 2016 CB500F this coming spring. I almost pulled the trigger on one a couple years ago but went with a deeply discounted NC700X.

Our financial situation is still uncertain (district court date for the accident later this month) so I'm planning on the conservative side for a new ride.

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
12-08-2016 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(12-08-2016 07:03 AM)CB4ME Wrote:  
(12-07-2016 07:19 PM)DAC Wrote:  Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have to say I feel bad at having missed this! I have been an infrequent visitor lately but I read a couple posts that mentioned your accident and had to find out what happened. Please accept my late well wishes. Your positive attitude is amazing and inspiring. Hang in there!

Thanks DAC

I'm still riding a wheelchair - up and down hills Big Grin - but I see the pelvis doc next week. That will mark the 12 week point and hopefully I'll be allowed to start walking.

Meanwhile my sights are set on a new 2016 CB500F this coming spring. I almost pulled the trigger on one a couple years ago but went with a deeply discounted NC700X.

Our financial situation is still uncertain (district court date for the accident later this month) so I'm planning on the conservative side for a new ride.
That CB500F was on my very short list. I still am thinking about it. Really nice-looking bike, 46 HP, pretty light. Honda did a lot of upgrades in 2016, too.
12-08-2016 09:20 AM
Mikestib1 Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
I had a CB500X which has a little more legroom. Hope you recover soon. You never know when you seem invisible to drivers of cars and trucks. I stopped wearing black leather jackets a few years
ago and wear textile armored neon green jackets and white helmets. Makes me more visible. I wasn't sure if it would make a difference but my wife who only drives says she can see me 2 blocks away. We need every edge we can get. I've been riding 52 years and hope to continue. Hope you do too
12-08-2016 04:59 PM
Papa Weeley Offline
High Mileage

SoCal
(12-08-2016 04:59 PM)Mikestib1 Wrote:  I had a CB500X which has a little more legroom. Hope you recover soon. You never know when you seem invisible to drivers of cars and trucks. I stopped wearing black leather jackets a few years
ago and wear textile armored neon green jackets and white helmets. Makes me more visible. I wasn't sure if it would make a difference but my wife who only drives says she can see me 2 blocks away. We need every edge we can get. I've been riding 52 years and hope to continue. Hope you do too

^ Ditto on all counts!

[color=#FFA500][i][color=#32CD32][color=#00BFFF]Ham and eggs - a day's work for a chicken, a life-altering experience for a pig.[/color][/color][/i][/color]
2013 CB1100 #056, with too danged many mods to list.
2015 Honda CB500x
12-08-2016 05:09 PM
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
Great advice on highly visible jackets. I still have a nice winter jacket but will invest a few bucks on a neon vest. Who knows, a bright vest or jacket and helmet could have made a difference.

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
12-08-2016 06:07 PM
offroadfx4 Offline
High Mileage

Indiana
I just had an idea this may sound like sarcasm but it's not I'm really serious I think this might work... How about if we put on the top of our helmets a strobe light like school buses use.. It wouldn't have to be a very big one ...someone should invent that... I know it might look silly but better look silly than be run over... What do you think? These LEDs are getting more powerful all the time with very little power consumption it wouldn't have to be a big clunky heavy thing... they can even make it aerodynamic so it wouldn't drag your helmet? If enough people would do it it would just look like normal like the strobes on an airplane

2018 BMW K1600GT
2014 Honda CB1100 STD
1984 Kawasaki GPZ750
1978 Yamaha YZ125
1976 Honda CB750 (cost $1776 new)
1973 Honda CB350
1970 Honda 50 Mini Trail
12-08-2016 06:36 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(12-08-2016 06:07 PM)CB4ME Wrote:  Great advice on highly visible jackets. I still have a nice winter jacket but will invest a few bucks on a neon vest. Who knows, a bright vest or jacket and helmet could have made a difference.

Sometimes, they just don't see you. On todays ride a guy in a pick up pulled out in front of me causing me to brake pretty hard. I was wearing a white helmet and a hi viz vest. I feel like it helps most of the time, just not 100% of the time.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-08-2016 06:45 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(12-08-2016 06:36 PM)offroadfx4 Wrote:  I just had an idea this may sound like sarcasm but it's not I'm really serious I think this might work... How about if we put on the top of our helmets a strobe light like school buses use.. It wouldn't have to be a very big one ...someone should invent that... I know it might look silly but better look silly than be run over... What do you think? These LEDs are getting more powerful all the time with very little power consumption it wouldn't have to be a big clunky heavy thing... they can even make it aerodynamic so it wouldn't drag your helmet? If enough people would do it it would just look like normal like the strobes on an airplane

(12-08-2016 06:45 PM)The ferret Wrote:  
(12-08-2016 06:07 PM)CB4ME Wrote:  Great advice on highly visible jackets. I still have a nice winter jacket but will invest a few bucks on a neon vest. Who knows, a bright vest or jacket and helmet could have made a difference.

Sometimes, they just don't see you. On todays ride a guy in a pick up pulled out in front of me causing me to brake pretty hard. I was wearing a white helmet and a hi viz vest. I feel like it helps most of the time, just not 100% of the time.

I'd rather look silly than be injured or dead. If the strobe works, I'd wear one.

On the other hand, I think Ferret's experience says there are moments when drivers just don't see you or just don't care. To be fair, there are occasions when driving a car that people just pull out in front of you. Either they didn't see you—which strikes me as unlikely most of the time—or their judgement is off in the moment.
12-08-2016 11:11 PM
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
I too have been an infrequent visitor here since I sold my CB and like DAC, am sorry I missed this. Continued best wishes for a complete recovery, CB4ME.

I'm a believer in the Hi-Viz gear and have a yellow as well as a red jacket. I feel cagers notice me better when wearing those. I still bought a "cool looking" brown riding jacket which is better suited to fitting in when you're off the bike at your destination and just walking around. BUT, I did buy a hi-viz yellow vest for when I'm on the bike. I drew the line at a hi-viz helmet but bought a bright white one, which I feel gets you noticed better than a black one.

I agree 100% with ferret. Sometimes, they're just so zoned out they wouldn't notice a dump truck approaching. Drivers are in a rush, eating breakfast, shaving, applying makeup, on legal meds, on illegal drugs, drunk, tired, or just thinking about how they hate their- fill in the blank ____ boss, spouse, job, life.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 06:35 AM by ClassicVW.)
12-09-2016 06:31 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
Speedy recovery CB4ME Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
We don't have the intense traffic around here like many of you, and the cagers seems to give us a break, but we certainly have our share of idiots.
I gave up on black leather years ago and now wear bright red textile jackets and a white helmet.
Even so, there are idiots who look right at you and then pull out. I've learned to expect that and so far no close calls.
I still have black leather jackets and on those rare occasions when I wear one I have a lime green hi-viz vest.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 06:46 AM by Rocky.)
12-09-2016 06:45 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM