Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
K&N Oil Filters BEWARE!!!
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: K&N Oil Filters BEWARE!!!
Well that could have been really hairy had the roads been wet. glad every thing turned out as well as it did, and hope no engine damage occured.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-30-2016 03:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
davidsargee Offline
Running Like a Top

North Richland Hills, TX
(09-29-2016 09:36 PM)kmoney Wrote:  Crazy. I also always thought they were a well-made product. I usually switch between the OEM filters and the K&N since they're basically the same price, but this gives me something to think about.

I did too, I have used them many times over the years. I prefer OEM, but if it's a day that the dealer is closed, I would just grab a K&N, or Mobil 1 oil filter and feel comfortable with it. Not anymore. I will post some pictures in a little while of my failed K&N-204. I will never use their products again.

(09-29-2016 09:41 PM)kennyw Wrote:  Search this forum and you will find another story just like yours. The filter failed at the hex head feature. I've recommended people avoid the K&N oil filters since seeing that post just to be safe.

I thought I had read something on this forum regarding a problem with a K&N oil filter, I looked for it last night. Somehow I missed it. Thanks, at least I know that I'm not completely nuts.

A motorcycle's engine should have oil in it, not water...(Mitsuyoshi Kohama) The ferret
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2016 09:31 PM by davidsargee.)
09-30-2016 09:28 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
David, see http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8044.
09-30-2016 09:35 PM
davidsargee Offline
Running Like a Top

North Richland Hills, TX
(09-29-2016 09:53 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Well managed David, but how very unnerving.

I had the same recollection as kennyw. The other story on this forum is here, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8044.

Hope,your engine is OK.

Hello Cormanus,

Thank you, it was a ride for sure, talk about getting the adrenaline up. I thought there was a similar account on the forum as well, I looked for it and did not find it. Thanks for the link. I am going to post some pics in a short while, it's a lot the same problem.

Cheers

(09-30-2016 02:46 AM)curlyjoe Wrote:  I'm glad you made it off the road safely David. I hope the engine is OK.

Thank you, the engine seems to be ok, that's one tough motorcycle.

(09-30-2016 03:27 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Well that could have been really hairy had the roads been wet. glad every thing turned out as well as it did, and hope no engine damage occured.

Thank you, it was pretty hairy on dry concrete. I'm going to post some pics of the rear wheel, you'll see. The engine seems ok, Honda's reputation is well earned.

A motorcycle's engine should have oil in it, not water...(Mitsuyoshi Kohama) The ferret
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2016 10:07 PM by davidsargee.)
09-30-2016 09:36 PM
TINK Offline
Running Like a Top

So Cal
Always OEM. For me, it's not worth the risk to use anything other than a genuine Honda oil filter.

2017 WR250R (Dual Sport)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
2009 ST1300 (Iron Butt)
2000 VFRF800Fi (5th Gen)
1979 BMW R100S "The Ultimate Motorcycle"

[url=http://www.photosbytink.com/]photosbytink.com[/url]
09-30-2016 10:40 PM
davidsargee Offline
Running Like a Top

North Richland Hills, TX
Well, I rented a trailer, (I own a Honda, I don't need a trailer, Big Grin), stopped by the Honda dealer for oil and a filter, OEM of course. And went to get my bike. I was alone, and did not relish pushing that heavy beast up a ramp, so I took some wrenches and the oil and filter with me. I changed, (replenished actually), the oil and filter before loading the bike on the trailer, hoping it would start and I could ride it on to the trailer.

When I arrived, the first thing I did was have a close look at the oil filter, it was not difficult to see, oil was still seeping from between the plate the nut sits on, and the housing. The oil filter was the culprit, beyond any doubt. You can see in the pics below, that the nut and the plate that it is attached to, have separated from the housing, creating a massive leak.

I measured the amount of oil that I drained from the engine, there was about a quart remaining. This was nearly catastrophic, had I not managed to shut the motor down, a couple of additional minutes of running, and the engine beyond a doubt would have seized up. I then tried to remove the filter, and the 17mm nut, the one that makes it "easy" to remove the filter, a strong reason that I was using those filters, stripped right away when I put my 17mm open end wrench on it. Ironic, the filter nearly toasted my engine, and I didn't even get the benefit of easy removal, Smile . It was a long struggle to get that filter off, inexplicably, I did not bring my filter wrench, I thought the 17mm would be all that I needed. Despite being hand tightened when I installed it, the oil filter was really hard to get off, the nut stripped with very little effort. I eventually resorted to the old screwdriver method of oil filter removal, being careful of course not to damage or alter the place where the failure occurred.

I filled the engine with oil, and let it sit for a few minutes while I readied the trailer and tie down straps for loading the bike. I doubt there was any benefit to that, but I figured letting the oil settle a little wouldn't hurt. Finally, I took a deep breath and tried to start the engine, nothing happened, nothing at all, my heart sank, then I remembered that I left the kickstand down when I put the bike on the centerstand. Whew! I put the kickstand up and tried again it started right up, idled very smoothly, no knocks, no rattles, no weird noises of any kind. I shut it off, the engine was still covered in oil and it starts smelling pretty quick. It sounded good, like nothing happened, amazing, that is one tough motorcycle, Honda's reputation is well deserved. I started the bike up again and rode it up the ramp and on to the trailer. I did not want to ride it and get the motor hot with all of that oil on it, it's getting a good washing tomorrow.

I told the Service Manager at the Honda dealership what had happened, he said he had been unaware of the problems with the K&N oil filters. He also commented my use of full synthetic oil probably played a role in the engine surviving so well, he said that even the residue from full syn provides some lubrication.

I am going to give the bike a good washing tomorrow, and ride a little keeping a close eye for leaks, or any other potential issues that may rise from this. The bike seems ok, the engine sounds just like it did, can't tell anything happened. Regardless, I'm going to go easy for a while just to be sure its alright.

I took some pics: they are posted below.

In these pictures, you can clearly see the separation of the nut assembly from the housing. No, I did not tighten the filter with a wrench. It was hand tightened

The scratch marks on the 17mm nut are a result of the nut rounding off when I tried to loosen it with an open end wrench.

Amazing how that little seemingly insignificant nut causes so much trouble.

A few shots of the rear tire, still covered in oil after 2 days.

Rear tire, oil all over the fender well.

Pics of the front fender, oil splattered on the back of it.

Oil spatter on the front of the tank, and triple-tree.

09-30-2016 11:24 PM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
Good grief. What a mess. Sad

Since it was still seeping oil from the filter when you arrived with the trailer, it's likely there was more than 1 quart left in the engine when you pulled off the road and shut down the engine. Trying to be optimistic!

Are there any diagnostics tests that can be done to confirm the engine truly OK? Compression test?

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 01:57 AM by curlyjoe.)
10-01-2016 01:57 AM
Blockhead Offline
Running Like a Top

Pittsburgh
(09-30-2016 10:40 PM)TINK Wrote:  Always OEM. For me, it's not worth the risk to use anything other than a genuine Honda oil filter.

I totally agree.

Also, I never thought a hex head filter was a necessity on these bikes, being that the filter is so easily accessed. Not looking to start a debate though...touchy subject haha....
10-01-2016 04:04 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Curly, a compression and a leakdown test could be done if desired.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
10-01-2016 05:12 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
At the Moto America race in Texas, a crash was caused by the failure of a K&N oil filter. I think it was caused by a gasket of improper thickness, though not sure. Moto America has since banned all but OEM filters on race bikes.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/cvma...l-filters/

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
10-01-2016 05:33 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>