Any interest in cams?
PowerDubs Online
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Any interest in cams?
Again- disagree, sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016 12:44 PM by PowerDubs.)
10-24-2016 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: Any interest in cams?
(10-24-2016 12:11 PM)PowerDubs Wrote:  
(10-24-2016 09:51 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Best bang for the buck, intake/exhaust mods and reflash.

I respectfully, but highly disagree. I've been doing this my whole life, have done hundreds of dynos and am anal enough to dyno piece by piece and compare. Hell, my current play car alone has had 4 different sized cam sets in it, each dynoed by themselves- I dynoed it at 2 different dynos in 3 days just 2 weeks ago just to compare results. That isn't counting different headers, cats, catbacks, ported cyl head, bigger throttlebody...

Cams on this bike should make intake/exhaust/flash look like a joke and a waste of money.

Don't misunderstand- and engine is an air pump and complete package, any bottleneck is a bottle neck, but I have yet to see where cams aren't king.

For now I own a Staintune muffler, Arrow headers, Dynojet Power Commander, Dynojet Autotune. A set of cams should do nicely- and if not extreme shouldn't loose much down low. You would be amazed how much is choked off on modern stuff for emissions and sound.
Replacing cams is what you like to do, so for you it seems like no more difficulty than changing an oil filter, and really, it isn't that hard, but it is a few hours work for the CB1100, and fraught with peril for the non-mechanic. Not to mention it would completely void the bike's warranty. (An ECU flash might also, but that could argued or even swept under the rug by reflashing back to stock or swapping the ECU as some do). Heck, most guys are not at all willing to take on a valve clearance check let alone mess with changing cams, especially since the bike does not have a chassis up to handling any more power. Yep, I mean any more. Even five horses is too much more for this bike. I just spent all day tearing around our local canyons confirming that once again. It don't have the suspenders or gridwork for putting 100 horse to the ground.

Anyway, that is an interesting comparison, because a change in camshaft makes a reflash absolutely necessary; it could not be done safely or correctly without that. On the other hand, the reflash could be without a cam change and still get that 5 ponies, but of course some kind of exhaust work would be needed. A better reflash is Guhl's basic flash, which removes restrictions per gear position (the first three gears retard the timing) and per the speed limiter, is said to smooth throttle response.

The last thing most owners want is more top end. Shoulda bought another bike for that; BMW's RNineT, Triumph's Thruxton 1200, those are retros with good top end.

As far as I can discern no one even makes a cam for this bike. Maybe I missed that so apologies if I did.

(10-24-2016 12:44 PM)PowerDubs Wrote:  Again- disagree, sorry

Just keep us posted on this. I am actually interested in see what's possible and what your dyno results are, with the whole mod package.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016 05:10 PM by Ulvetanna.)
10-24-2016 05:05 PM
PowerDubs Online
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Ulvetanna Wrote:Replacing cams is .... really, it isn't that hard, but it is a few hours work for the CB1100, and fraught with peril for the non-mechanic. Not to mention it would completely void the bike's warranty.

If someone pays a shop to adjust their valves, swapping the cams at the same time is trivial.

Warranty is 1 year from purchase, no? Most people are out of warranty.

You should come to the car world- even less people tear into their own engines but COUNTLESS guys pay a shop to make their car faster. Just because someone doesn't do their own engine work doesn't mean a product shouldn't exist.

Ulvetanna Wrote:since the bike does not have a chassis up to handling any more power. Yep, I mean any more. Even five horses is too much more for this bike. I just spent all day tearing around our local canyons confirming that once again. It don't have the suspenders or gridwork for putting 100 horse to the ground.

Again, I disagree.

Plenty of worse handling bikes have had more power than this. Sorry if your skills or balls aren't up to the task. Wink (joke)

On a serious response- who said power has to be only used in a corner at speed? I'd counter that most people floor it on straightaways... in fact, that is where max throttle, max rpm is used.

Ulvetanna Wrote:because a change in camshaft makes a reflash absolutely necessary; it could not be done safely or correctly without that.

I'd wager the bike would run fine on cams as is. To make optimum gains, retune should be done on ANY mod- exhaust, intake, cams, you name it. But start, idle and run ok? Cams will be fine. These aren't carbs.

Ulvetanna Wrote:The last thing most owners want is more top end. Shoulda bought another bike for that; BMW's RNineT, Triumph's Thruxton 1200, those are retros with good top end.

I hate that statement. I do not know how old you are, or how much experience you have with bikes- but I'd expect that response out of a young newb that thinks only the latest greatest sport bike can have power.

Give me a break, there are people who hotrod ANY type of motorcycle. And even the people on here that tend to put around (I am one of them these days) still open the throttle every once in a while and if the bike is capable of a little more excitement through rev range without a loss at normal RPM ridden then there is nothing to loose other than money.

10-24-2016 06:03 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Man, we really need that popcorn eating smiley.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
10-24-2016 06:13 PM
PowerDubs Online
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Any interest in cams?
Yes Big Grin

10-24-2016 06:15 PM
Carguy1959 Offline
Running Like a Top

Mobile Al
If you can add a bigger cam,carb, exhaust to a Chevy 350 and make gobbs more power over stock? Why can't you do it to a bike motor? The cam is the key ingredient.

Also maybe some port and polish.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016 07:21 PM by Carguy1959.)
10-24-2016 07:19 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-24-2016 06:03 PM)PowerDubs Wrote:  
Ulvetanna Wrote:The last thing most owners want is more top end. Shoulda bought another bike for that; BMW's RNineT, Triumph's Thruxton 1200, those are retros with good top end.

I hate that statement. I do not know how old you are, or how much experience you have with bikes- but I'd expect that response out of a young newb that thinks only the latest greatest sport bike can have power.
The last thing I am is a newb. 35 years riding, I'll turn 60 this year, God willing, over 50 bikes owned, nearly a million miles ridden and still at it. No further interest in this topic, though. Finish yer popcorn, guys, the show's over.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016 07:36 PM by Ulvetanna.)
10-24-2016 07:34 PM
PowerDubs Online
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Any interest in cams?
Wait a minute, you forgot your ball!

10-24-2016 07:41 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I'll just jump in here because I have nothing else to do: Ulvetanna should not be assuming what "most owners" want or don't want and regardless of that, the assumption is irrelevant to the question you asked which was if anyone was interested in cams. On the other hand, Ulvetanna is not a"newb" and that should have been obvious to you based upon his other comments in the thread. Oddly enough, Ulvetanna seems to be interested in cams or, more precisely, interested in seeing your results. I am too, although I'm not interested at all in doing this to my bike and I couldn't care less if my bike tops out at 112 or 118 or 150.

oh...and your thread, your ball. Popgun's popcorn.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016 08:27 PM by EmptySea.)
10-24-2016 08:22 PM
PowerDubs Online
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Any interest in cams?
I have no desire to do 100+ on this bike either, nor drag pegs. But opening up a couple gears from a red light or parking lot is always fun. Smile

10-24-2016 08:31 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Just think about this scenario.... You . . .Gone in 60 — 01:28 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition