Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bikes you have been disappointed in
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Bikes you have been disappointed in
In my old couple and young couple thread in my last post I related how I came to buy my Kaw 1000 after being disappointed after a test ride on a BMW.

In 2006 I again was disappointed on a test ride. I loved my FZ-1 and wanted a dedicated sport touring bike with fairing and hard bags. To me, a FJR was a logical choice. Off to my local Hon- Yam shop for a test ride. Wife and I took a good long ride, about 60 miles. On our way back to the shop, we stopped at a McDonalds for a cold drink and a discussion. I said to my wife " what do you think?" She enthusiastically replied she loved it and thought we should buy it. She was ready to write the check. What did I think ? She asked. Well, I hated it. The clutch was so stiff my left arm was cramping. The throttle was so stiff my right arm was cramping. It felt very top heavy, and I had no confidence leaned over in the corners. I decided not to buy it. Instead when I got back to the shop I told them to order me a Honda ST1300 without even test riding one. Turned out to be a good choice.

BMW R90s and 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300... Two bikes which I wanted which disappointed me badly.

So anyone else think they wanted a certain bike...until they rode one? Or worse, ought one and discovered after you got it home you made a mistake?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-08-2013 05:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pcb01 Offline
New To The Forum

Florence SC
RE: Bikes you have been disappointed in
KTM Duke. Worst bike ever. As I was walking out the door with the BOS in hand, the shop owner said, "geez, Bowman, I didnt think even you were crazy enough to want that bike!"

And I've owned 3 Nortons -- at least they kept me intrigued. Oh, and a Trident. And a BMW inline 4. Oh, and a Concours (not the current model. God, I've owned some awful motors. Never disappointed in a Honda though. They helped me keep the faith all these years.
08-08-2013 06:13 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lordy, an Austrian bike, 4 British bikes and a Beemer experiment...you are a glutton.

Defender of the Realm
08-08-2013 06:19 PM
pcb01 Offline
New To The Forum

Florence SC
HAH!!! Didn't even mention the Laverda triple, did I? At least it was lovely to look at...[/quote]
08-08-2013 06:25 PM
bronx boy Offline
Break-In Period

the bronx, ny
Wow ferret, I had a 2006 fjr that I rode around the USA... 10,000 miles in 27 days ( but I actually rode 21 days), and very little highway riding. It did have a high center of gravity, but i think that it made it more comfortable in the saddle. I was riding 10 to 15 hours a day no leg cramping or back problems. It was really a good upright riding position. I am 5'8" so it made it interesting to stop and get my toes down. I fell a bunch of times, but i put over 40,000 miles on the thing in three years, and loved it so much that I bought another one. It really is a long distance ride.

I had a royal star that I absolutely did not enjoy. The cruiser thing doesn't work for me.
Uncomforable after about an hour on the road.

drum bun
bronx boy

2013 cb1100
2012 gldwing
2006 fjr1300
08-08-2013 06:31 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Laverdas are neat to look at.

(08-08-2013 06:31 PM)bronx boy Wrote:  Wow ferret, I had a 2006 fjr that I rode around the USA... 10,000 miles in 27 days ( but I actually rode 21 days), and very little highway riding. It did have a high center of gravity, but i think that it made it more comfortable in the saddle. I was riding 10 to 15 hours a day no leg cramping or back problems. It was really a good upright riding position. I am 5'8" so it made it interesting to stop and get my toes down. I fell a bunch of times, but i put over 40,000 miles on the thing in three years, and loved it so much that I bought another one. It really is a long distance ride.

I had a royal star that I absolutely did not enjoy. The cruiser thing doesn't work for me.
Uncomforable after about an hour on the road.

The FJR was probably a wonderful bike just not for me. I did read online that a common fix for the strong throttle was to remove 2 of the 4 return springs. for 2008 or 9, Yamaha reengineered the clutch and throttle I've been told ( plus the trans and front brakes which were fine for me) . also did not care for the windshield moving itself every time you turned off the ignition. this year Yamaha fixed that. BTW Im shorter than you.

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 06:38 PM by The ferret.)
08-08-2013 06:32 PM
bronx boy Offline
Break-In Period

the bronx, ny
Yeah, I had to get my toes stretched to use it.
And I couldn't ride it around the city...stop and go.

drum bun
bronx boy

2013 cb1100
2012 gldwing
2006 fjr1300
08-08-2013 06:45 PM
6.5kev Offline
Break-In Period

Helena, MT
Ducati ST-2. Doesn't like to run under 3000 rpm which is a hassel around town. Can't seem to get comfortable on it. Raising the bars 1/4 inch and new grips helped but not enough. Best handling bike I've rode though.
08-09-2013 08:50 AM
thumper Offline
Running Like a Top

Bakersfield, CA.
Wow Ferret, you opened a can of worms on this one! But, here goes:

2006 Yamaha FZ-1:
This was the first year of the newly-styled, fuel-injected version. It was touted as a comfortable FZR-1 rocket ship. Uh, no. The fueling on the bike was absolutely horrendous, with many magazine testers saying they couldn't believe the bike was brought to market in such a condition. The throttle was like a light switch--either gas on, or gas off. And the powerband was non-existent until 7,000 rpm. The bike was absolutely gutless in the bottom end, and you had to slip the clutch a bunch just to leave a stop light. The suspension was a mess--abrupt everywhere, and the bike would absolutely stand-up while trying to turn and brake at the same time.

2005 Yamaha Vmax:
I was in high school when the original Vmax debuted. The Vmax, along with the Honda CBX many years prior, is the bike that set the hook in this kid as being crazy for motorcycles. I'd always wanted a Vmax, but couldn't afford one. When I finally found a nice 2005 20th Anniversary Model in beautiful Shift Red paint, I bought it up. I just knew it was going to be the most wonderful bike in the world. After all, I'd had twenty years of fantasies building up! Well, again, no. For a big bike, the seating position was very tight. The brakes felt like they were being grabbed by wooden brake pads. The gearbox had a long, heavy throw like a tractor. And, don't expect to find Neutral at a stop light after the engine warmed--wasn't going to happen. And even though I never could find it, I swear there was a hinge somewhere in the middle of the frame, 'cause that bike would wallow and wiggle like nothing I'd ever experienced. The bike was beautiful to look at, but that's about where its good qualities ended.

***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander***
[size=x-small][color=#000000]The Stable--[/color][color=#0000CD]TEx[/color],[color=#FF0000]CB11A[/color],[color=#32CD32]ZX6R[/color][/size]
08-09-2013 12:18 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Dang Thumper..those first year Gen 2 FZ did have horrible FI and Im not sure Yam got it straightened out until 08 or 09. The Gen 1 was such a better bike, much more comfortable, much better range, and the carbs were spot on and smooth....and although you could ride around at 2500 in 6 th, it really did make most of its power from 7K north. I had 2, and found them to be excellent bikes, however when they changed them in 06, they ruined them for me.

I have ridden a Vmax, first year out, and in a straight line it was awesome, but I never took one thru a curve. First bike I ever got tunnel vision on. I always figured it was too fast to turn lol. seating was cramped and if I remember correctly there wasn't much space between seat and foot pegs. Hard to remember though it's been it's been like 24 years lol.

Defender of the Realm
08-09-2013 12:51 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
First time out this season now that Iā . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM
Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!
Yikes A-man! Glad to read you sailed th . . .GoldOxide — 02:39 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit challeng . . .Gone in 60 — 02:15 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
excuse my while i smash my gopro and n . . .Gone in 60 — 02:09 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Lovely looking bike, mtneers.Cormanus — 01:31 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,377

Full Statistics

>