Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
To ride, or not to ride (to a job interview)?
JMA Offline
Break-In Period

New Jersey
I live in North Jersey and I have a job interview next week up near Poughkeepsie, NY. There is some great riding up there, and it is supposed to be a nice fall day. I was thinking of taking the whole day off of my current job, and after the interview in the morning, spending the afternoon riding. Then I got to wondering whether it is a good or a bad, or a neutral, idea to ride to a job interview?

I'm thinking this group may be a little biased, but I welcome your thoughts.
10-21-2016 05:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
RE: To ride, or not to ride (to a job interview)?
Depends. What is the job for? Do you have any idea who will be interviewing you?

Also, what gear do you ride in? I couldn't do an interview unless I brought an entire outfit to change into- I ride in leather jacket, leather pants, gloves, boots, helmet...

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
10-21-2016 05:34 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
If you get the job you'll be able to ride there regularly. I'd focus on the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
10-21-2016 06:11 AM
Nemo Offline
High Mileage

Jacksonville, FL
Don't ride to the interview. Dress for success and concentrate in the task at: TO GET THE JOB!

Take the whole day off anyway, after the interview go back to the house, change and then go ride.

N

“It is easier for me to be forgiving of the stupid than of the evil."
EmptySea

#BLACKBIKESMATTER
10-21-2016 06:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
feralchimp Offline
1st Service Completed

BOS
Ride to the interview; just leave plenty of time to change and rub the helmet crease out of your forehead. Smile

Jared
'14 CB1100, '14 CRF250L, '14 Grom!, '08 R6 (track), '66 PA-28 180
10-21-2016 06:31 AM
kmoney Offline
High Mileage

Vancouver, BC
Agree with Nemo. I had this paradox before and always driven to the interview. Dealing with changing and all that gear is just awkward and annoying.
10-21-2016 07:04 AM
cooldrum Offline
Running Like a Top

Portland,Oregon
If it were me, I'd focus on the interview. You want to make a good first impression. Then, head home and suit up for your favorite roads.
Russ
10-21-2016 07:07 AM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
If you don't ride and then you're gonna be thinking the whole time that you should be riding...then ride! On the other hand, I'm paranoid about first impressions for interviews and if they see you ride up on your bike, maybe helmet in hand, or if you make a comment about riding the mc, they see you depart on the bike...well, there just might be somebody on that committee who hates motorcycles because their neighbor has a loud bike who just loves to wake up the neighborhood with his aftermarket pipes.
10-21-2016 07:39 AM
hb9400 Offline
Running Like a Top

Marietta ga
Interesting question. What happens if you don't ride and get the job then you start riding to work and they have a problem (post hiring) ? Would you mention in your interview that you ride? Would they be providing health coverage as part of the job?

The ferret
10-21-2016 08:08 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-21-2016 06:11 AM)Capo Wrote:  If you get the job you'll be able to ride there regularly. I'd focus on the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wise words.

Don't try to fit a motorcycle ride into every one of life's little events (or big events in this case). It's distracting and counterproductive, especially after you reach 30 years of age. And most people perceive motorcyclists as being outside the usual group of good choices for employees, anti-social and obsessive.

Leave the bike at home, dress for success, get there early in comfort. When you get the job, show 'em what a great guy you are, and one day, ride your CB1100 to work. They will think you are really cool at that point.

This opens the discussion to one more comment, which Capo underscores; the narrative at the local watering hole (or at least the very strong subtext) is "Look at me, I am able to work motorcycling into every aspect of my life. Not everyone can do that."

I sure tried it and made it work to some extent but found out it really doesn't.

Like anything else in life, the smart play is to focus on work, family, health, hobbies, passions individually and effectively. The old saying, "Don't mix busines with pleasure" very much holds true here.

(10-21-2016 08:08 AM)hb9400 Wrote:  Interesting question. What happens if you don't ride and get the job then you start riding to work and they have a problem (post hiring) ? Would you mention in your interview that you ride? Would they be providing health coverage as part of the job?
Good point...get the job and assess the situation afterward.

Motorcycles symbolize freedom, free thinking, a risk-taker, and an independent mind to a great extent and most employers are NOT looking for that kind of person.

Fact is, I found this out the hard way, and after I had already been promoted and had a string of excellent performance evaluations. The Human Resources director hated motorcycles and when I started riding to work regularly (and probably coming across as a bit proud of it) she made the comment at one meeting regarding car-pooling that "the DOT wishes that motorcycles would disappear off the face of the earth." It was clear she shared that notion.

Later on I had some very serious problems with her. I got them sorted with the help of an excellent attorney, thankfully.

Keep the hobbies and special interests to yourself; mainstream is what you want to be in a job interview.

And good luck!Thumbs Up
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 09:07 AM by Ulvetanna.)
10-21-2016 09:01 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Milestone Thread (Take 2)
Go Django! Interesting it doesn’t sa . . .Django — 11:40 PM
Sundays with Cheryl
Alright Cheryl's back riding. Been waiti . . .The ferret — 06:23 PM
Sundays with Cheryl