Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
To ride, or not to ride (to a job interview)?
JMA Offline
Break-In Period

New Jersey
RE: To ride, or not to ride (to a job interview)?
OP HERE: Thanks for the input. TBH, not the response I was expecting from this crew. Maybe you all are dancing the old folks boogie even more than I was ready to admit (didn't want to admit I bought an old folks bike, but I'm over that because it's a darn fine machine).

The job is a professional one, and I will have to wear a suit for the interview. My plan is to wear my overpants and jacket over my suit, than drop the riding gear into my saddle bags and helmet into my top case. I would get there early enough to drop into a restroom to straiten my tie and pat down any helmet hair.

I'm not worried about them knowing I ride, because "motorcycling" is listed under the "skills and interests" heading on the resume. I'm just worried about the optics of it on first impression. I'm not wanting to do this to show off in any way, I really just want to spend the afternoon riding up in that area and I think that I can pull this off without it being a big deal.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 05:48 PM by The ferret.)
10-21-2016 05:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sharkey Offline
Break-In Period

DFW
I recently had the same quandary. Only I was going to Dallas and not a lot of riding around there. I took the car so I could wear a suit. 3rd interview and I have one left so it is looking pretty good. I showed up initially in a suit and the two people interviewing me were not in a suit?

As for riding and letting your employer know, I think that is an indicator of what we have become as a nation. For me, it doesn't matter because my contact and another interviewer at the company both ride. It's probably good I didn't say HD since neither of them have one.
10-21-2016 06:06 PM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
If you listed motorcycling on your resume- sack up and do it, don't post on some website!

And you didn't answer my (first response) question- what is the job for?

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
10-21-2016 06:25 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
I still recommend not doing it.

I'm retired, I've been to a few job interviews. Not too many, because I almost always got the job. I have interviewed quite a number of people for good-paying jobs as well.

I don't want to see anything about the person except those things that will tell me, in the brief interview period, what I need to know about the prospective employee.

If the person's clothes are slightly disheveled, if the hair seems quickly patted down, if they in any way seem distracted and not entirely earnest and focused on wanting to prove to me that they, and no one else, are the BEST person for that job - and that I would be a darn fool NOT to hire them - that person will not be at the top of my list.

You want to mix business with pleasure, do so, but keen interviewers will notice those things and may well take away a couple of notions.

First, that the interviewee seems distracted and in some way not quite as comfortable and prepared as they would like; second, that the person may be the type to "mix business with pleasure" when he or she is on the clock.

I am speaking from 30 years in the public and private sectors, from a very high level of employee interview experience.

If you are not sure, and wanted to get some feedback, then just go with your gut. Drive there, be relaxed, be confident. Riding a bike, you never know what kind of problem you might get into. An altercation, someone cuts you off, you get upset and it shows, and so on.

One thing I do see is that people have placed far too much credence and faith in what the Internet contains. Trust yourself.
10-21-2016 07:12 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Drive the cage to interview. Can always ride the area later on a different day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
10-21-2016 07:55 PM
EarsOnWheels Offline
Running Like a Top

DC
Does the bike interfere in some way?

Will it improve you chances of getting there on time regardless of traffic?

Will you have all the things you need to interview successfully?

Go forth and conquer. If the employer is checking the lot for your transportation, you don't want to work for them. I work in a city. Do you think they know if you came by bicycle, motorcycle, car, metro, or bus?
10-21-2016 08:29 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
How bad do you really want the job? Do you need more money? Do you have financial goals this job could help you reach? Are you willing to chance that just to make a statement about how you choose to get around?
10-21-2016 09:48 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
lifestyle choice vs. means of transportation
(10-21-2016 03:46 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  ...Her conclusion was that motorcycling was a very important lifestyle choice...

Important lifestyle choice. You hit the nail on the head.

Those that view motorcycling primarily as "lifestyle choice" must understand that it is wise to keep these outside of the time and place where they do paid work for someone who may not share their lifestyle choices - the basic survival instinct of the modern socioeconomic life.

Those that view motorcycling primarily as means of personal transportation must understand that there will be employers who think of motorcycling strictly as a "lifestyle" choice. Before you know if that is the case, behave as if it was. You must appear at the door, on time and in whatever attire fits the particular work environment, and you stand best chance of landing the job if you do not provoke any negative reaction from the interviewer, justified or not.

BTW, this is a patently North-American discussion. In both Europe or Australia, the chances of running into an employer who does not understand that for a large number of interviewees the motorcycle was simply the best way to reduce the chances of the old "...very sorry I'm late, was stuck in traffic..." to an absolute minimum, are quite low.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 11:37 PM by rotor.)
10-21-2016 11:28 PM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
Taking a day off to ride in upstate NY sounds like a great idea. It sounds like you are not really interested in the job so cancel the interview and enjoy the ride. Smile

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
10-22-2016 03:13 AM
clearviewx Offline
High Mileage

Western Mass
(10-21-2016 01:28 PM)Rebel73 Wrote:  I always ride in my suit!

Jk. I agree that you should focus on the interview. Don't scatter you're energy by fumbling with biker gear and everything.

Love it Rebel73

2014 CB1100 Deluxe #244Excited
2002 CB750 Nighthawk #549Celebrate
You should of bought a DLX
10-22-2016 07:48 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition