Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Complete Electrical Failure
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: Complete Electrical Failure
(10-22-2016 04:55 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Lol I hear ya

Ok that makes sense. Sorry I worked in the industry for 17 years and that confused me. A 6 mm nut uses a 10 mm wrench. A 10 m nut would take a 14 mm wrench.
No worries, I knew exactly what you meant. You parts guys just have to do it by the book, lol.Thumbs Up
10-22-2016 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Complete Electrical Failure
Please report back on how this battery works for you. Does it require a special tender/charger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
10-23-2016 06:28 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-23-2016 06:28 AM)Elipten Wrote:  Please report back on how this battery works for you. Does it require a special tender/charger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's my third Shorai. I have never had a problem with any of these. Have them now in three different bikes. All of them have a lot more cranking power (CCA) than the stock battery at about 1/4 the weight.

My 2015 ZX-10R has had the longest run, going on two years now. The battery showed 13.2V yesterday when I checked it for the charged voltage. Very good. Another is in my track bike, hasn't been in the bike too long but I noticed it cranks much more vigorously than the stock battery. No issues so far.

I hope to get out for a ride today on the CB1100 to also check out the new handlebar position due to reversing the risers.

Shorai recommends their "intelligent charger" which also does an analysis of the battery and charges it to the higher voltage specification these LiFe batteries have, about 13.4V at full charge. ECU's like the higher voltages a lot better.

It is not absolutely necessary to use the Shorai charger, though, you could use a regular "smart charger" that shuts off after reaching full charge. They say to remove the charger after charging because regular chargers that will provide a "float" charge will not work to keep the battery topped off. You can use that kind of charger to give it an initial charge or recharge it, but disconnect it once the charge is complete. Once it's charged, the bike's charging system should keep it in good shape.

The CB1100 has a very good charging system with about 14.1V @ 2000 RPM so it's a good candidate for the Shorai.

The Shorai charger is about $85. Since I have several of these batteries it's cost-effective. I have a couple of other bikes with older lead-acid batteries and I'm thinking about replacing those, too, just as preventive maintenance. I was stranded twice on the CB1100, I am getting too old for that stuff.

The Shorai can go a very long time between charging if there is no parasitic draw. Most bikes made in the last few years have this so for storage you could disconnect the battery and charge it fully once, and leave it disconnected all winter without ever charging it. They actually recommend removing the battery and putting it in the refrigerator for optimal storage. So a nice cold garage ought to be just fine.

There is only one glitch I am aware of, some earlier batteries have cause complaints about cold cranking. The battery needs to be "warmed" for a short time in very cold weather (freezing or below) by turning on the high beam or some other load. It rarely gets that cold where I live so I cannot comment on it.

I have only good things to say about the Shorai batteries. They're about twice the price of a generic, Chinese-made powersports battery and 50-75% more than a Yuasa but given the reliability, very light weight, and increased CCA's I think they're a cost-effective item.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2016 07:00 AM by Ulvetanna.)
10-23-2016 06:59 AM
ryanschillinger Offline
1st Service Completed

Crescent City, California
Don't wanna get off topic, but let me know how reversing the risers works out. Been thinking about that myself. Wonder if you'll still be able to access the front suspension adjustments on top of the forks, and how it will affect comfort.
10-23-2016 08:10 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-23-2016 08:10 AM)ryanschillinger Wrote:  Don't wanna get off topic, but let me know how reversing the risers works out. Been thinking about that myself. Wonder if you'll still be able to access the front suspension adjustments on top of the forks, and how it will affect comfort.
Worked out very well. I can actually get to the fork preload adjusters very easily now, before it was a problem. It is a very sport riding position, I think it may be a full inch further forward. I rotated the CB500 bars down to where the switchgear almost touches the tank on the left side, which was pretty flat and feels just about perfect.

Only issue is now getting used to the new riding position, but it took me about 1000 miles to get used to the new bars the way they were. This is going to be better, really cants you into the wind.

Just remember to loosen the nuts on the risers before you remove the handlebar. I have a thread about this somewhere in the mods section.
10-23-2016 03:32 PM
ryanschillinger Offline
1st Service Completed

Awesome! Raining next few days so maybe I'll have a chance to do it.
10-24-2016 08:52 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-24-2016 08:52 AM)ryanschillinger Wrote:  Awesome! Raining next few days so maybe I'll have a chance to do it.
It's gonna clear up...I think. Beer
10-24-2016 09:48 AM
ryanschillinger Offline
1st Service Completed

Looks like next few days rain off and on. Maybe finally install my Hepco side cases!
10-24-2016 10:43 AM
AzBob Offline
Running Like a Top

Chandler, AZ, USA
Another plus for the Shorai: My bike sat since February. I fired it right up on the first try yesterday. That's 8 months. No lead-acid battery would be able to do that.

2008 CBR1000RR (for sale)
2013 CB1100
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
10-24-2016 11:18 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
I'm really loving mine. Rode it a couple hundred miles so far, the lights are brighter and thing practically leaps to life when the start button is pushed. I really think it handles differently without that 6 pounds. Not necessarily better but a 6-pound weight reduction is pretty good. Now I realize I need new tires.
10-24-2016 04:50 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I am grateful for a cage that keeps me w . . .GoldOxide — 06:30 PM
:rofl:The ferret — 06:04 PM