Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Low Bar (CB500) with Riser Flip - Perfect Sport Ergos
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Low Bar (CB500) with Riser Flip - Perfect Sport Ergos
Some members have done the CB500 handlebar mod first related to the forum by Chip Beck.

I've done this modification but was never quite satisfied with the bar position. I had to set the bars to where the control switches were only a few millimeters from touching the tank to get the grips reasonably level. They also tended to interfere with the large 18L Cortech tank bag I sometimes used. Mainly, though, they just were not quite right, not quite sporty enough, not quite level enough, and not enough clearance between the bar and tank at full lock to be really "correct" and avoid trapping my hands if I wasn't attentive.

I read the CB1100RS had the bars moved forward a bit and took a look at the bar risers on my 2013 Standard. The solution seemed obvious.

With some help from a friend, I got the job done. We removed the two 14mm nuts that hold the risers in place (leave the bars bolted in place for this). My friend removed the caps and lifted the handlebars out of the way, and I held the bars out of the way while she rotated the risers 180 degrees. That moved the handlebar mounting point about 20mm forward. We bolted it all back together (there is no torque specification for the riser mounting nut, but it's a locking type anyway) and made a couple of adjustments. It was stone cold on the money. I was able to rotate the bars back toward me to get them into a more level, comfortable yet sporting position. With this adjustment there was still nearly an inch of clearance between the bars and tank.

This setup couldn't be better. And it looks right. I don't know why this didn't occur to me before.

And now there is plenty of room for a larger tank bag.
10-22-2016 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ryanschillinger Offline
1st Service Completed

Crescent City, California
RE: Low Bar (CB500) with Riser Flip - Perfect Sport Ergos
I've been thinking of flipping the risers but can you still access the front fork adjustment with them reversed?
10-23-2016 07:40 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-23-2016 07:40 PM)ryanschillinger Wrote:  I've been thinking of flipping the risers but can you still access the front fork adjustment with them reversed?
Absolutely. It's easier. I had to play with the preload after flipping them because my weight was further forward. I think a very slight increase in preload should be enough. Really sporty, pretty far forward, but the whole thing takes only about 20 minutes.
10-23-2016 08:59 PM
ryanschillinger Offline
1st Service Completed

I might have to give it a shot. Doesn't cost anything, and can always put it back later. Good info. I think it would be more comfortable since I'm a bigger guy.
10-23-2016 09:03 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-23-2016 09:03 PM)ryanschillinger Wrote:  I might have to give it a shot. Doesn't cost anything, and can always put it back later. Good info. I think it would be more comfortable since I'm a bigger guy.
Yep, it is a quick, simple mod and best, totally reversible.Beer
10-24-2016 07:28 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Just an update, I put a good number of miles on yesterday, the riding position is very good on the freeway especially, it cants your body into the wind and really eliminates (for me anyway) all the turbulence around the helmet and the strain of holding on.
10-25-2016 08:29 AM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
I had the stock CB500 bar on my '14 CB500F. I got pain in my shoulders and neck, worse than leaning on clip ons, because it was just sort of half way / not the right position to ride. I changed to a Renthal Low which was too high and then a Renthal Ultra low which has been much better. I used risers on my old 919.
10-25-2016 09:26 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-25-2016 09:26 AM)nhawk7504 Wrote:  I had the stock CB500 bar on my '14 CB500F. I got pain in my shoulders and neck, worse than leaning on clip ons, because it was just sort of half way / not the right position to ride. I changed to a Renthal Low which was too high and then a Renthal Ultra low which has been much better. I used risers on my old 919.
Yes, gotta make it fit for each rider. I need a more forward lean due to shoulder/back issues which get aggravated. Having the risers and a variety of bars is a real plus. Still too much vibration even with the stock Honda weights but even so, no problems due to that after about 3 hours on the bike.
10-25-2016 10:16 AM
ryanschillinger Offline
1st Service Completed

Sounds like you got a winning combo for yourself!
10-25-2016 04:09 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-25-2016 04:09 PM)ryanschillinger Wrote:  Sounds like you got a winning combo for yourself!
I am really happy with my CB1100 now; it's a real hoot. Just a great bike.
10-25-2016 08:40 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM
I don't know about that... they're easy . . .Gone in 60 — 03:50 PM