Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One-finger braking, for real.
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
One-finger braking, for real.
I installed a Galfer 3-line kit on my '13 Standard and gave it a good hard test ride today. Had to clean the pads with good, acetone-base brake cleaner but once everything settled down, braking was improved immensely, so much so that I would put these binders on a par with my '15 ZX-10R or '12 GSX-R 750. So much better, the control is greatly improved and much easier to modulate to get the precise amount of braking into bends.

I've got the double-line setup on a couple of bikes and that's not bad either; I understand the triple-line is best, having the least amount of brake line and being very easy to bleed. I also have a 3-line "GP" brake line setup on my Ninja, but the master cylinder is just a touch mushier than the CB1100.

They made it 3" shorter to fit the CB500 bar setup, worked out very well.

Also did the clutch line and it feels much better, but have not actually ridden the bike with the clutch line replaced yet.

You gotta remove and replace the tank for that little operation so it's a couple of hours at least.

Sincerely, I would NOT recommend these lines for most riders because the braking action is unexpectedly powerful and I have read more than one thread about riders locking the front wheel, etcetera.

Obviously if you have ABS...well, I'd probably just leave it alone in that case, too much plumbing!

But for the sportier style riders, these brakes are fantastic. And I still have the stock OEM pads, with over 10K miles on them. I like the EBC HH Sintered, but won't be installing them as the brakes are terrific now.
10-27-2016 08:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: One-finger braking, for real.
The stock pads in the end were just not grippy enough.

I just ordered EBC HH sintered superbike pads; the CB1100 brakes are the same as the 1999 CBR600RR, they use the same pad.

Rheumatiz in the index finger, I need more bite.

However, the new OEM rear pads with the Galfer s/s line are just dandy. No rear brake issues.
11-17-2016 09:29 PM
kennyw Offline
High Mileage

Gold Bar
I did the one finger braking once after dropping my bike and breaking off the front brake lever. There was only enough room for one finger on what was left of it.

KennyW
11-19-2016 08:21 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(11-19-2016 08:21 PM)kennyw Wrote:  I did the one finger braking once after dropping my bike and breaking off the front brake lever. There was only enough room for one finger on what was left of it.
I remember a track day where the tech inspectors actually let a guy on the track with the lever like that.

Anyway I just installed some EBC HH sintered superbike pads on the bike today; they're the exact same brakes as the CBR600RR and I believe also the CBR1000RR, a previous generation to 2012.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 11:05 PM by Ulvetanna.)
11-19-2016 11:04 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
OK, got a very lucky opportunity to put a good ride in today before the rain hit (coming down real wet and steady now) and the EBC pads are are a bit better than stock, not fully broken-in yet but more initial bite and control for sure. Usually takes a few hundred mile with a fair number of stops to get 'em bedded in. These should be very good in the wet as well, being sintered.
11-20-2016 06:02 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Wolf, maybe you could explain the 3 hose thing you did. Whats up with that?

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
11-20-2016 06:14 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(11-20-2016 06:14 PM)popgun Wrote:  Wolf, maybe you could explain the 3 hose thing you did. Whats up with that?
It's an option from Galfer, they just replicate what the bike has, a single line from the M/C to a three-way joint which splits to right/left calipers. These show the front brake lines, rear brake line, and clutch line. Really helps the performance and feel especially with good pads.
[attachment=5616]
[attachment=5617]
[attachment=5619]
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 10:52 PM by Ulvetanna.)
11-20-2016 10:46 PM
Olyrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Pacific NorthWet
I just visited the Galfer website.

Couldn't get it to show me the lines for the CB1100. It only listed brake pads. Not sure why. Not too hard to search.

I have the same as you.....2013 non-ABS.

Olyrider

Ob-la-di...Ob-la-da
11-29-2016 12:39 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(11-29-2016 12:39 PM)Olyrider Wrote:  I just visited the Galfer website.

Couldn't get it to show me the lines for the CB1100. It only listed brake pads. Not sure why. Not too hard to search.

I have the same as you.....2013 non-ABS.
No worries, just call them or email, it's a newer product. They made them up and I rode up there and picked it all up the same day. Very small operation in Oxnard, just a few people, very good customer service.

When you do the front lines you just need to use some spacers or washers to make up the space where the old brake line joint fits under the horn mount, very easy.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2016 12:56 PM by Ulvetanna.)
11-29-2016 12:55 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM
I don't know about that... they're easy . . .Gone in 60 — 03:50 PM