Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
Chip Beck Spec Low Handlebar/Mirrors Mod.
qmaven Offline
Break-In Period

Herndon, Va.
RE: Chip Beck Spec Low Handlebar/Mirrors Mod.
Great work, Chip. That is precisely what I plan to do for my bike, something more in the cafe line. So how does the set up work for you on the road? Need a road evaluation!

Prime ride 2013 Honda CB1100
Back up ride- 2002 Triumph Bonneville T100 Anniversary
08-13-2013 08:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(08-13-2013 01:43 PM)CB4ME Wrote:  This is the most informative piece I've seen on the inner working of handlebar weights and their effects on vibration mitigation. Thanks for all the research, pictures, observations and explanations!!!

An even simpler explanation to the way these handlebar weights work is to think of some of the times you had a distorted view looking into the rear view mirror of a car or motorcycle because that mirror was vibrating. You reached up and touched it with a finger or hand and that dampened the vibration and cleared up the view. Those bar end weights are like the touch of your finger.

(08-13-2013 05:45 PM)Bayoucityrider Wrote:  Chip,

Excellent write up on this mod. I too just ordered these mirrors last Friday and was searching for mirror options before I came across this thread today. Glad I can see what they look like before mounting them and I must say they look fantastic. Never was a fan of the high mounted chrome antenna looking things. Just one question. When I was looking at them at the dealer on the 2013 CB500 they appear to stick out just a tad more than the stock mirrors. Have you noticed a improvement in that area?

Yes, they are lower and they do project just a bit more out to the side than the stock mirrors. I can see more of the road behind me and less of my arms. They do provide better rear vision.

Chip

(08-13-2013 08:02 PM)qmaven Wrote:  Great work, Chip. That is precisely what I plan to do for my bike, something more in the cafe line. So how does the set up work for you on the road? Need a road evaluation!

Gmaven,

I have only ridden it with the faring on so far. I really like the feel of these bars and I'm quite comfortable on it. Around town it feels about the same to me but on the highway at 65+ MPH the combination of the lower bars and that faring are really nice. I'm not getting blasted with all of that air pressure and the slight forward lean pretty much cancels out the wind that does hit me. I'll try to take it out soon without the faring and report on that. Cheers.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 09:44 PM by ChipBeck.)
08-14-2013 09:37 PM
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
Chip,

I ordered the CB500F mirrors yesterday. I took your advice and asked for a discount. I ended up paying 39.58 each. I ordered 2 pair of those rubber lever end covers (in case I split one putting them on). I also picked up a 15oz spray can of Pro Honda high performance Chain Cleaner. It's the first time I've seen it and will give it a try when it stops raining.

Parts should be in on Wednesday. Can't wait to see them on the bike in person.

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
08-18-2013 10:21 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
CB4ME,

Those rubber lever thingies go on pretty easy if you heat them up some with a hair dryer, or let them sit in the sun for a short while. Then lube them with something like WD-40 in them and worry them on. The WD will tack up or dry (over night in my experience) and all will be well with the world.

Edit to add: If you don't heat them up, them will most likely tear or split, according to other members' reports.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 05:44 AM by Lord Popgun.)
08-19-2013 05:42 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(08-18-2013 10:21 AM)CB4ME Wrote:  I ordered the CB500F mirrors yesterday. I took your advice and asked for a discount. I ended up paying 39.58 each. I ordered 2 pair of those rubber lever end covers (in case I split one putting them on).

CB,

I'm having trouble picturing what you are referring to here?? Are you talking about the rubber boot at the bottom of the mirror shaft? If so, it's not a problem. When you get your mirrors you will only get the mirror with it's attached shaft. You'll need to take the mounting bolt with it's reverse threaded locknut off of the old mirrors. With that off the rubber boot will slide right off the mirrors bare shaft. Slide it on to your new mirrors before you put the mounting bolts on and there is no way you can damage it.

If that rubber boot isn't what you are referring to........never mind.

Chip

08-19-2013 09:56 AM
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
Chip - yeah I was talking 2 different things.

(08-19-2013 05:42 AM)popgun Wrote:  CB4ME,

Those rubber lever thingies go on pretty easy if you heat them up some with a hair dryer, or let them sit in the sun for a short while. Then lube them with something like WD-40 in them and worry them on. The WD will tack up or dry (over night in my experience) and all will be well with the world.

Edit to add: If you don't heat them up, them will most likely tear or split, according to other members' reports.

Thanks Popgun!

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 11:16 AM by CB4ME.)
08-19-2013 11:15 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(08-19-2013 11:15 AM)CB4ME Wrote:  Chip - yeah I was talking 2 different things.Huh

Well don't leave me hanging, what were you talking about. I can't figure it out. Photo??

Chip

08-19-2013 06:51 PM
Huladog Offline
1st Service Completed

Hawaii
(08-19-2013 06:51 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  
(08-19-2013 11:15 AM)CB4ME Wrote:  Chip - yeah I was talking 2 different things.Huh

Well don't leave me hanging, what were you talking about. I can't figure it out. Photo??

Chip

Think he's talking about those round rubber covers that go over the rounded ends of the control levers. Retro thing.

Aloha,
Huladog
08-19-2013 06:53 PM
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
(08-19-2013 06:53 PM)Huladog Wrote:  
(08-19-2013 06:51 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  

Chip

Think he's talking about those round rubber covers that go over the rounded ends of the control levers. Retro thing.

Aloha,
Huladog

Sorry Chip -

Huladog is right about the rubber covers. I should have been clearer.

08-20-2013 04:19 AM
mustakoira Offline
1st Service Completed

Alpharetta Georgia USA
I bought a pair of those CB500F mirrors (also the handlebars) online and they came in this week. Today I had a chance to just try them on my bike in place of the stock mirrors. They will not work. The thread on the CB500 mirrors have an opposite direction thread on them. The stock mirrors thread on clockwise, and these CB500 mirrors have a counter-clockwise thread on both of them.

Same part numbers as what Chip reported. I bought them from gearhead.com. Not sure why this is. I'll contact the seller and ask them but thought I would share my experience for what it is worth.
08-24-2013 05:16 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974