Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
Chip Beck Spec Low Handlebar/Mirrors Mod.
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Chip Beck Spec Low Handlebar/Mirrors Mod.
(08-19-2013 06:51 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  
(08-19-2013 11:15 AM)CB4ME Wrote:  Chip - yeah I was talking 2 different things.Huh

Well don't leave me hanging, what were you talking about. I can't figure it out. Photo??

Chip

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-24-2013 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FUZZY Offline
Running Like a Top

Houston,TX.
(08-24-2013 05:16 PM)mustakoira Wrote:  I bought a pair of those CB500F mirrors (also the handlebars) online and they came in this week. Today I had a chance to just try them on my bike in place of the stock mirrors. They will not work. The thread on the CB500 mirrors have an opposite direction thread on them. The stock mirrors thread on clockwise, and these CB500 mirrors have a counter-clockwise thread on both of them.

Same part numbers as what Chip reported. I bought them from gearhead.com. Not sure why this is. I'll contact the seller and ask them but thought I would share my experience for what it is worth.

Makes no since. All 10mm mirrors should be the same unless they are for Yamaha.
08-24-2013 05:58 PM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
ROFLROFL
(08-24-2013 05:16 PM)mustakoira Wrote:  I bought a pair of those CB500F mirrors (also the handlebars) online and they came in this week. Today I had a chance to just try them on my bike in place of the stock mirrors. They will not work. The thread on the CB500 mirrors have an opposite direction thread on them. The stock mirrors thread on clockwise, and these CB500 mirrors have a counter-clockwise thread on both of them.

Same part numbers as what Chip reported. I bought them from gearhead.com. Not sure why this is. I'll contact the seller and ask them but thought I would share my experience for what it is worth.

Post a picture. The bare mirror shaft does not screw directly into the threads on the brake or clutch cylinder. It screws into the mounting bolt with the lock nut that you have to take off of your stock mirrors. That mounting male/female bolt is reverse threaded. If you are trying to screw the mirror shaft directly into the clutch or brake housing it won't go. It mounts exactly like the stock mirrors.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
08-24-2013 06:35 PM
FUZZY Offline
Running Like a Top

Houston,TX.
(08-24-2013 06:35 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  ROFLROFL

Post a picture. The bare mirror shaft does not screw directly into the threads on the brake or clutch cylinder. It screws into the mounting bolt with the lock nut that you have to take off of your stock mirrors. That mounting male/female bolt is reverse threaded. If you are trying to screw the mirror shaft directly into the clutch or brake housing it won't go. It mounts exactly like the stock mirrors.

Chip

Yea, that has to be what's wrong. Lol. I put the CB1000R mirrors on mine, no problem.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2013 06:47 PM by FUZZY.)
08-24-2013 06:45 PM
rakpak Offline
Break-In Period

Ky, USA
Thanks Chip, I ordered my bars Friday. I like the black. I have blacked out my headlight brackets and "grab bars", changing turn signals now. Also switched to the Lucas tail light. The bars I was still pondering on until I saw your post.
08-24-2013 06:59 PM
mustakoira Offline
1st Service Completed

Alpharetta Georgia USA
(08-24-2013 06:45 PM)FUZZY Wrote:  
(08-24-2013 06:35 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  ROFLROFL

Chip

Yea, that has to be what's wrong. Lol. I put the CB1000R mirrors on mine, no problem.

That's what I was doing wrong. I feel stupid but thanks for straightening me out.
08-24-2013 07:50 PM
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
Chip -

Had a chance to try the CB500F mirrors yesterday. What a nice difference. I was especially impressed with how close you can see objects directly behind you, virtually eliminating this one blind spot. At the same time I gained some coverage with side vision.

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
08-25-2013 05:40 AM
4845mike Offline
Break-In Period

United States
What is the name of your fairing and where did you get it. I like that look . Nice mods by the way.
08-25-2013 09:08 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(08-25-2013 09:08 AM)4845mike Wrote:  What is the name of your fairing and where did you get it. I like that look . Nice mods by the way.

Mike,

It's a Road Comet fairing and I purchased it from webike.net. You can buy them painted or unpainted, striped like the tank or no stripes. Mine is painted silver and the match to my side covers is exact. Because the side covers are not striped, I wanted my faring unstriped and I think it looks great. The faring also looks killer painted to match the tank, especially if you add red side covers. Mine also has a smoked wind screen. The cost for a painted Road Comet is about $500. Installation is a snap and takes about 5 minutes. Cheers.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
08-25-2013 12:04 PM
4845mike Offline
Break-In Period

United States
(08-25-2013 12:04 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  
(08-25-2013 09:08 AM)4845mike Wrote:  What is the name of your fairing and where did you get it. I like that look . Nice mods by the way.

Mike,

It's a Road Comet fairing and I purchased it from webike.net. You can buy them painted or unpainted, striped like the tank or no stripes. Mine is painted silver and the match to my side covers is exact. Because the side covers are not striped, I wanted my faring unstriped and I think it looks great. The faring also looks killer painted to match the tank, especially if you add red side covers. Mine also has a smoked wind screen. The cost for a painted Road Comet is about $500. Installation is a snap and takes about 5 minutes. Cheers.

Chip

Thanks. I will be adding that to my mod list as well
08-26-2013 05:02 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,754

Full Statistics

>