Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
Chip Beck Spec Low Handlebar/Mirrors Mod.
XeNoSCR Offline
Break-In Period

USA, IN
RE: Chip Beck Spec Low Handlebar/Mirrors Mod.
I love the lower bars. I think I'll have to go that route myself. At 6'2" I sit way to straight on that thing, highway speeds with a good head wind makes it feel as if I'm going to get pushed right off the back. I end up tucking to minimize the effect but don't like my arms that bent. (I do have a Street Shield on the way that'll help some.)

I had the same trouble with my 75 CB750 when I got it at first. I put lower bars on but my hands got beat up so badly by engine and road vibration they would go numb almost instantly. After some looking around I found these:

http://www.manicsalamander.com/products/...ype=Weight

I put a set of these on the ends of my bars and the problems I had with numbness were gone. They fit and look much better than the bar ends Honda supplied on these CB1100s. When I first saw the OEM bar ends on my CB I thought someone had screwed up putting them on until I saw a few other bikes. The gap and looseness just don't sit well with me and, they look like crap to me. The Salamander bar ends open up a lot more options for bars. They have up to 1lbs bar ends if you need something that heavy. They don't recommend using aluminum bars with these since the aluminum is more prone to crack and fail over time. They also say they've not put much testing into it to find out.

XeNoSCR
08-29-2013 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AllenM Offline
Break-In Period

Central Point, Oregon
ChipBeck,

I wanted to say thanks for all the work you did on documenting this. After a few months of researching other handlebar posts I kept returning to your post and ultimately decided to go with your recommendations. I already have the same fairing in the same color so that really helped seeing the pictures. I was struggling in my decision with black instead of chrome and drilling the holes but mainly with the placement of the throttle cables and the adjustments of the hydraulic lines. In my opinion, after looking at the pictures a few more times I think the black actually looks better than the chrome and my other concerns, I'm sure will diminish when I get to the installation process. I placed the order at a local Honda dealer here in Medford, Oregon today. I did not ask for the discount because the prices were already pretty good plus we don't have sales tax here. Handlebar 53100-MGZ-306 $43.91, Mirror, Right 88210-MGZ-305 $43.98 and Mirror, Left 88220-MGZ-305 $43.98.

Regards,
Allen
10-31-2013 05:15 PM
Bbref36 Offline
1st Service Completed

South Dakota USA
All - I also did this (in September). Not only do I like the position of tHe bars better it seems to make the seat more comfortable. I think it has to do with leaning more forward and getting away from bing so upright with the stock set up.

At any rate this mod could end up saving me 500 for a Corbin seat. Thanks chip.
10-31-2013 05:27 PM
Joola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles
I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it. The narrower bars made counterstearing every so much harder and i was getting lower back pain on longer rides.

I think the lower black bars fit the look of the bike better than the stockers. I loved how it looked with them on it. I just couldn't get passed the discomfort and feeling like I had less control of the bike. My first ride back with the stock bars was when I had my close call with the benz suv (refer to my close call video). I think my reaction time would've been slightly slower If I had those lower bars on.

Then again I'm an inexperience rider so what do i know? Thumbs Up

[size=x-small]719 Gel Grips, Tandem Grip, Chrome Chain Guard and Meter Covers, K&H Hi Seat, Lucas Taillight, ViziTec Modulator, Painted Headlight Bucket[/size]
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 05:44 PM by Joola.)
10-31-2013 05:44 PM
Greg Offline
1st Service Completed

Central Florida
(10-31-2013 05:44 PM)Joola Wrote:  I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it.

Are you interested in selling those black handlebars? Did you get the CB500F mirrors too? You may PM me if you want to discuss a sale.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 11:23 PM by Greg.)
10-31-2013 11:23 PM
Joola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles
(10-31-2013 11:23 PM)Greg Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 05:44 PM)Joola Wrote:  I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it.

Are you interested in selling those black handlebars? Did you get the CB500F mirrors too? You may PM me if you want to discuss a sale.

Never bought the CB500F mirrors and sold the bars to a friend. Sorry.

[size=x-small]719 Gel Grips, Tandem Grip, Chrome Chain Guard and Meter Covers, K&H Hi Seat, Lucas Taillight, ViziTec Modulator, Painted Headlight Bucket[/size]
11-01-2013 07:25 AM
Greg Offline
1st Service Completed

Central Florida
(11-01-2013 07:25 AM)Joola Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 11:23 PM)Greg Wrote:  [quote='Joola' pid='17680' dateline='1383266651']
I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it.

Never bought the CB500F mirrors and sold the bars to a friend. Sorry.

It's all good.

BTW, though I live in Florida now, I lived at one time in Loma Linda, Glendale, Burbank, Hasting's Ranch, La Crescenta and Thousand Oaks. I didn't ride motorcycles back then but used to drive nowhere in particular just for the joy of it. Angeles Crest, Mt. Wilson, Mulholland, Pacific Palisades!

When I lived in Thousand Oaks I was working in Hollywood. I've been all over those canyons going to work, the beach or just exploring.

Now my son is in school out there. He rides and I'm thinking about riding across the country to visit and ride in Southern Cal.

Wow, didn't realize how much I miss it all! I've got to get busy on planning a trip.
11-01-2013 10:35 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
pashnit.com Has links to some extremely good riding in California.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
11-01-2013 11:06 AM
Buffalorider Offline
1st Service Completed

WV
I read this thread earlier when I was using my Daytona bars with the bar end mirrors. While I loved the feel of the bars and the look with the mirrors the vibration on longer rides took it's toll and I switch back to stalk mirrors and the internal weights to cure it.
Now I am wondering if these bars would allow the bar end mirrors and the weights to control the vibration?
Unfortunately my selling dealer, Shenandoah Honda in Winchester VA, folded it's tent and vanished one night (rumor has it an ugly domestic situation) so I have to truck over to either the next county or MD to get a price on the bars and delivery.
Might be interesting though.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck, screaming Yahoo, with a big smile on your face."
11-04-2013 12:56 AM
Sfomoto Offline
1st Service Completed

Florida
(10-31-2013 05:44 PM)Joola Wrote:  I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it. The narrower bars made counterstearing every so much harder and i was getting lower back pain on longer rides.

I think the lower black bars fit the look of the bike better than the stockers. I loved how it looked with them on it. I just couldn't get passed the discomfort and feeling like I had less control of the bike. My first ride back with the stock bars was when I had my close call with the benz suv (refer to my close call video). I think my reaction time would've been slightly slower If I had those lower bars on.

Then again I'm an inexperience rider so what do i know? Thumbs Up

I installed the same exact handlebar last night. I notice the bike looked a lot more sporty and aggressive – the bike looked fast just parked in my garage. Then I took it for a ride in the city and the highway. I noticed that in the city I was not as comfortable because of the stop and go. After 20 minutes of riding, my back was starting to bother me. I also noticed a little more stress on my wrists and forearms. Highway was not bad because I had a more of an aggressive riding position. Unfortunately 90% of my riding is in the city. The one major change I noticed was the way I was able to handle my bike. I went to an empty parking lot and tried doing figure 8 and sharp turns, but I noticed my skills deteriorated because of my sitting position. By the time I was done riding, my lower back was begging me to please switch to the original handlebar, so I did. After switching to the original handlebar I was feeling a lot more comfortable and confident. In my opinion the bike looks a lot better with the black handlebars, but my back and riding skills didn’t agree with the switch. I am keeping the handlebar because I am bike parts hoarder. By the way, Chip Beck’s instructions are perfect.

Check out my photos!
www.sfomoto.blogspot.com
The ferret
11-10-2013 03:38 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>