• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Letters From West Virginia
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
8 October 2016 - Saturday

Dear Cheryl,

Thank you and Jennifer for waking up early to have breakfast with those of us going on this new adventure and thank you for waiting around the extra few minutes while Laura rode home to grab her purse which she had left there. As you know, our start was a little delayed, but I bet you were surprised how close to on time we actually were. Heck, I was not even the last person ready to ride!

You were long asleep when I finished loading my bike.

Thanks for taking a few pictures as we headed out. I'm bummed that I couldn't get my lanyard camera working. Maybe someone else has a point-and-shoot I can borrow later in the week. I brought the lanyard just in case. Smile

The momentary chaos that is the gearing up process

Proof that I wasn't the last one ready!

Mike and Judy joining the group.

Our ride from Park Ridge to Columbus, OH (Marysville, actually) was uneventful. Typical flat-as-a-pancake riding through Indiana and Ohio. I'm sure you remember it from our North Carolina trip in 2013. Nothing has changed except the number of political signs lining the roads. We took US30 into Ohio. You know how much I like to ride on historic roads and historic Lincoln Highway ran coast to coast over most of what is US30 today. Since we were trying to make quick time, we did not stop at any historical markers or anything of that sort. I'm sure there are some points of interest along the route and maybe we'll check that out next year when you're back to riding.

After 30, it was on to US33, which took us to Marysville. Not at all excited by the amount of Ohio State Buckeye signage, but when in Rome, and all that. US33 was interesting because it went through a few commercial centers with their typical aluminum/steel buildings lining both sides of the road for about 1/4 mile. I always wonder "why here?" when I see these outposts.

We stopped for gas along the way and a guy pulled up on a vintage BMW. We all talked awhile. He was waiting for his buddy to get gas for his own vintage bike. He looked familiar, but I'm beginning to think that all vintage bike enthusiasts try to look like Peter Egan (He's a writer - I'll explain when I get home) so maybe that's why I thought that.

I know it's not your style, but pretty cool bike, eh?

Marysville, Ohio is the home of a HUGE Honda facility. Absence of my Ferret-cam prevents me from showing you, but Mike A told me that they used to make Goldwings here; at least that's what I think he told me.

It took us a few tries to finally land at our hotel for the evening; it's one of those places that you can plainly see from the main road, but the entry roads are not so clearly marked. Hampton Inn. Nice hotel, but they wouldn't let us park on the canopy, even with Glen pouring on his charm.

Mike G and I are bunking together this trip. He has warned me that he snores. I have kept my own snoring problem to myself in hopes that he thinks it's just him sawing wood at night.

We did a healthy 300+ miles today with another similar day planned for tomorrow. I brought a flask and my growler, but we didn't find a brewpub to fill the latter on the way to Marysville. Oh, by the way, if you noticed that some of your rye whiskey was gone, it didn't evaporate Wink

Well, that's all from our first day. It was weird not seeing you in my rear-view as I lead the group down. There's a comfort I feel when I see you to my right and two seconds behind. I miss that and it saddens me just a little to be on a motorcycling adventure like this without my favorite rider. I can tell that Laura misses you terribly already. We all do. Hope you have a safe flight to visit Kristin in NC. I'll write again tomorrow.

Love,

Matt

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2016 07:58 PM by The ferret.)
11-18-2016 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Letters From West Virginia
Big Grin great stuff! Was hoping we'd get one of your outstanding seat time reports sooner than later.

more please

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
11-18-2016 04:04 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Yes Goldwings were built there originally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
11-18-2016 04:35 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Great report, Sea. How is Cheryl doing?
11-19-2016 01:28 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
9 October 2016 - Sunday

Hi Sweetheart,

Arrived safe and exhilarated in Elkins, WV. I just rode on what I think is the best 90 miles of two-lane I've ever been on -- US33, east of Ripley, WVA all the way to Weston, WV. I know you didn't really look at the route maps that Mike prepared for this trip, so here's the section I'm talking about:

I commented on The Forum (yeah, yeah, I visited The Forum before I wrote you. Whatever.) that this could be the best 90 miles of road east of the Mississippi. Mickey replied, "You ain't seen nothing yet". I find that hard to believe, but he's ridden here before so I'll reserve my final judgement on the matter for a few days.

Oh, before I forget, you know how Mike G's son Matt is working in Columbus? Well, he drove over to Marysville last night to have dinner with us and he brought his friend, "Zach". Zach's actual name is Josh, I think, but Mike kept telling me that "Matt and Zach are meeting us for dinner", so now I cannot really recall if his name is Zach or Josh or Tim. Good kids, though. We had dinner and watched the Cubs game. Thank goodness they won. Maybe they will go all the way this year.

So, we left Marysville and headed down US33 on the Ohio side. It's mostly 4-lane there, but there are a few turns and the topography was changing as we descended in earnest into the Ohio River valley.

We stopped for gas at an awkward little gas station/mini-mart on the side of 33. I thought I took a picture of it, but I can't find it now. It was awkward because it's a hard right turn off of a 65mph highway and then a hard right turn back onto that highway. It was also packed with cars and one pump was broken. Glen got that one. He was plenty PO'd from what I could tell from across the drive. After at least two, and I think three visits inside, he finally was able to get filled up and pulled off to the side where we had all decided to take a snack and water break. Bullseyes, trail-mix, and granola bars comprised the cuisine--typical, I know. Best part of the stop? Mike A. said he had a point and shoot camera i could borrow!

See? Nothing challenging on this side of the river.

So far, being the ride leader, but following routes which Mike A planned, has not been particularly difficult, but he writes his turn-by-turn a little differently than I would. I think I'm going to review the routes the night before with him and make a few notes of my own, especially on days when we're changing roads a lot. Mike wants me to lead the riding most of the time and Glen as agreed to sweep for me. You always say that the two of us have some sort of 6th sense working when we take the lead and sweep spots. I think you may be right. We've been working really well together.

Honda leading the way!

Crossing the Ohio

Lunch was at a Wendy's in Ripley, WV. It warmed up a bit, so we all de-layered. It's been nice to have a couple of days in succession without rain, unlike Arkansas last year. Forecast is pretty good for the whole week, too.

Anyhow, after lunch and more fuel, we headed east on US33. It narrows to 2 lanes right around Ripley, and weaves its way east through some small towns and along or crossing any number of streams and small rivers. Mike G and I were granted special dispensation from formation riding and we took off. We had to pass a few slower-moving vehicles, but it was generally an obstruction-free 90 miles or so. Mike and I did stop once to re-group and then we took off again and regrouped (with a little bit of help from our cell phones) in Buckhannon.

Regrouped

You know how much I love my bike? Well, the love affair continues. Yeah, I get blown around a bit when it's windy, but I'll trade that for the responsiveness that the CB1100 offers me when we get to the curvy parts. I have to say, and I know you think this is stupid, but I love to hear the popping from my Yoshimura exhaust when I downshift entering a turn. I've been working on my trail-braking technique and I think I'm getting halfway decent at getting into and out of turns with rhythm and pace. It sure feels good, at any rate.

Mike G did an awesome job of keeping up with me. It is possible that I broke a few traffic laws along the way, but in my defense....well there's no defense, but it sure was fun.

We ended our 300 mile day at the Hampton Inn, Elkins. I don't know what politician built this hotel, but that's the only way I can figure that they'd let a big ol' box of a building be perched high atop a hill with a majestic view to the west. When we arrived, there was another motorcycling couple checking in. They were from Pennsylvania. Nice couple. She looked kind of hot in her motorcycle gear and that made me realize that there's at least one other reason that I like riding motorcycles with you--there's just something about a pretty girl on a motorcycle and an extra something when she's your wife Wink You REALLY need to get that broken leg healed up. Just sayin'.

I hope you are having a good time Chapel Hill with Kristin. It was great that you could plan your vacation/'recuperation' to visit her. I miss having her and Chris around Park Ridge. We'll have to make plans to visit them together soon. Any word on Chris' dad? Still in hospice? Let me know.

The Hampton provides a shuttle into Elkins, so we had dinner in town. More on that later. I'm getting tired and I need to rest up for tomorrow's ride. We're heading to Seneca Rocks (I'll have to look up what and where that even is) and the route that Mike plotted to get there looks pretty fantastic.

Here's a picture of the other couple's bikes and the view from the Hampton Inn. I thought it would be a little creepy to take a picture of the girl, though. LOL

Wish this picture was of us holding hands and admiring the view. We'll get a picture like that next season, I know it.

Miss you a bunch and love you even more,

Matt

(11-19-2016 01:28 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Great report, Sea. How is Cheryl doing?

She's doing great, thanks. She hardly limps unless I mention that she's hardly limping, then she gets to thinking about her gait and the limp reappears. I have told her that I'm not going to make comments like that anymore. LOL

At the moment, she's making soup and chili to serve a bunch of friends that helped her (us) during her recovery. I think there will be about 16 people here this evening.

She and our friend Laura already have plans to test-ride a couple of new bikes (BMWs, I think) next season. She definitely misses riding.

Thanks for asking. Smile

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2016 08:50 PM by The ferret.)
11-19-2016 01:36 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
It is so much fun to read a post and realize that you've been smiling the whole time you have been reading. This letters thing is really cool!

Defender of the Realm
11-19-2016 02:25 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
10 October 2016 - Monday

Dear Cheryl,

Brrrrrrr. You would have donned your Mobile Warming heated jacket this morrning for sure. It was about 39 degrees at our original planned start time of 8:00, but warmed to a 'balmy' 44 by 9:00am. Sunny and dry, though, and it got into the upper 60s by the afternoon, so really a perfect day for our trip to Seneca Rocks. When we were gearing up, Laura or Judy found a flower on the ground next to my bike and placed it on my bars. It stayed there for quite awhile, but eventually blew off. For the short time it was there, it reminded me of you.

I was so sorry to learn of Chris' dad passing. I know he had been sick for a long time, but he and Chris were so close that he's probably having a hard time, especially with Kristin being in NC and he being in IL with his mom. In one way, it stinks that you have to cut your vacation short, but but in another way it's a bit of a blessing for Kristin that you are there to share the ride back to Illinois. Please send my condolences to both of them and to their kids when you see them all at the funeral. I'll send off a text to Chris when I'm done with this letter.

So, it turns out that Seneca Rocks is a prominent crag in the eastern part of the Monongahela National Forest. In fact, it's the highest point in West Virginia. It is in the Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area which is a little bit south, but mostly due east of where we are staying in Elkins. Needless to say, and in typical fashion, our route for the day had us heading west then northeast before sliding back south to our day's destination. The fastest route from our hotel to Seneca Rocks and back is about 50 miles. We rode about 175.

Mike's route for the day. [I missed the turn for Old Route 219, but I managed to get us the rest of the way without any unintended U-turns.]
Note: The red blotch is Seneca Rocks and the red line at the top is roughly the borderline of Maryland--another state notched, for me at least.

We ran into a snag at the very start of our ride. Some major road construction stopped us almost immediately after we exited "new" US219. We wound up waiting for maybe 1/2 hour for the flagger to let us go and even at that we had to follow a pilot truck for several miles. The one good thing is that we were at the very front of the stopped line so, once things opened up, there was no traffic ahead of us for miles and miles. Had I not missed the turn for Old 219, we almost assuredly would have been at that back of a 1.5 mile line of cars and trucks.

US219 through West Virginia is just an amazing stretch of highway and Mike had apparently called ahead to make sure that it was freshly paved for our visit. Apparently, at least parts of 219 were laid over an ancient Indian footpath called "The Great Indian Warpath", sometimes "The Great Indian War and Trading Path", or "The Seneca Trail". Google maps even identifies it as Seneca Trail. I'll have to read more about the trail when I return home, but it appears that the trail, whatever its name, runs from Alabama to New York. Pretty cool.

Lots of curves and elevation changes and, since a good portion of it is through the national forest, we had ample opportunity to witness trees chameleoning into their fall skin. Judy and a couple of the others, along with some locals with whom we spoke, felt that the colors were not at their peak. Looking at the pictures, I suppose they have a point, but there was plenty of orange and gold mixed the remaining green. More than once, we bathed in the golden half-light of an autumn forest as we traveled beneath a canopy of hardwood trees which stretched fully across the road. Oh, and honey? The battery on Mike's point-and-shoot died, a point which I wanted to make before you ask me why there are no pictures of this gold aura of which I speak.

Our original plan was to stop in Red House, MD at an old historic inn where we could have an early lunch and possibly fill my supercool growler with a few pints of local brew. It turns out that the inn is more of a museum/historical marker than an actual inn and so we made our (only) U-turn and headed east, now on US50, which would take us to WV42 (our Maryland stay was extremely short-lived) and then to WV28 into Seneca Rocks.

The elevation changes and sweeping curves made for a spectacular ride. Mike and I separated a little from the rest of the pack, but not by much. My bike handles SO much better when it is not burdened with a week's worth of duffle-bag fill strapped over the rear suspension. I'm beginning to embrace the idea of traveling to one spot and doing day rides from there in the future because that will allow me more days of riding my bike the way it is supposed to be ridden.

It didn't take too long before I felt hungry, but by my reckoning, which turned out to be incorrect, we would be at the visitor center in maybe 1/2 hour or 45 minutes after Red House. I was off by about 100% which was not-so cheerfully pointed out by Laura when we reached the intersection where I could turn left to the visitor center or right to the little "town" (three or four stores and a campground). "I'M HUNGRY!!!" was shouted, although at the time I just heard an indecipherable scream akin to what I imagine a banshee would make. At this same time, Mike G., stopped immediately to my right, needed a bladder relief stop and, tiring of my lack of decisiveness, darted across the intersection into the town's parking lot. We followed and I was informed that this would be a pretty good time to get off the bikes and enjoy a meal together. I am 99% certain that there would have been no banshee sounds had you been my stop sign partner since you would have just pointed to the restaurant and I would have dutifully lead everyone there. Have I mentioned that I miss you?

The "town"

Judy and me at the Front Porch Restaurant (very good food)

Visitor Center with Seneca Rocks behind. Seneca Rocks has the tallest peak in West Virginia

After lunch it was over to the (closed on Mondays) visitor center so we could all go for a hike. You know, of course, that "we all go for a hike" means that Judy and Laura go for a hike and the guys find a spot with a lovely view of the peaks and brake out the cigars. Which is what we did.

It was here that we met Travis and Linda. We had seen this couple at the restaurant and they caught our attention then because Travis was explaining to someone that he had found a mouse in the trunk of his Goldwing. I don't believe that any of us took time at the restaurant to introduce themselves, but since we didn't have much else to do except smoke and gaze, I thought it would be a good time to engage the couple as they walked past our station.

"Hey, aren't you the folks with the mouse in your Goldwing?"
"Yep, that's us"
Introductions all around. Travis and Linda were from Virginia and just out for a ride. They may or may not have been heading toward Pennsylvania, but I have been so intrigued by the mouse conversation that I don't recall their destination as I write this.

"How'd the mouse get in your trunk?"
"I think it got in through where the wiring runs. They've gotten in there before" replied Travis
"Maybe you need a cat."
"Well, let me start by saying that I HATE me a mouse", he explained.
Continuing, "I hate me a cat, too, but I really HATE me a mouse. In fact, I'd rather come face to face with a black bear than with a mouse"
To which Linda offered "And he has come face to face with a black bear, so he knows"

Well, that just lead us into a whole other story about Travis' black bear encounter. It seems that he forgot a wrench (or something) in his tool shed and walked out to get it about about 2am, dressed in nothing but "underpants and boat shoes". When he came "out the shed" there was a black bear standing "tween me and the house". He said that he made a lot of noise and the bear took off. I turned to Linda and asked, "Did you see this bear?"
"No"
"So, ummmm is it possible that maybe there was no bear and that Travis just needed to come up with an explanation for why he was in your driveway at two in the morning with a wrench, a pair of boat shoes, and his underpants"
"Hmmmm....I never thought of that!", she laughed.

The conversation morphed into a discussion of other wild animals who have visited their home, some of whom needed to be dispatched with the use of various forms of weaponry from broom to 12-gauge. We decided not to ask for too many more details, but asked them to take our photo and then they went on their way. You would have gotten a kick out the two of them. And despite, or because of, their stories, I liked them. Of course, had you been there, you'd have missed it all because you would have been hiking with the girls. You always say how much nature we miss by not hiking with you. I contend that we encountered quite a bit more nature in their stories than we would have ever encountered on the hiking path. Incidentally, all the guys agree that we HATE us a hike! Wink

The guys' version of a "bike and hike"

Obligatory selfie

There's a bike and rider missing in this picture

I LOVE me a CB1100 pic

Another fantastic ride to get back to Elkins via WV28 to US33. Again, not extremely technical, but twisty and hilly and beautiful.

At the intersection of US33 and US250, about a mile from our hotel, sits Hiawatha's Country Store. It's one of those touristy gift shops that you love, in part, because they sell Minnetonka Moccasins. I have grown to love your weird obsession with moccasins and these silly little stores. Laura wanted me to buy you a ring because she knows that's what you would do if you were with us. I thought about it and decided against it mainly because I think your "motorcycling ring" collection should only include items from places you have actually visited. We'll just have to come back to Elkins, I guess. Smile

Judy and I assumed that the giant statue in front of Hiawatha's was Hiawatha herself. Both Mikes and Glen (pretty sure Laura, too) were quick to point out that Hiawatha was male and was married to Minnehaha who is represented proudly in front of the store.

Mike was just a little curious about what the ancient Indians wore in terms of undergarments.

We had dinner at CJ Maggie's in Elkins. We ate there last night, too. Food is ok. They don't know how to make a mixed drink. The driver of this Mercedes is also staying at the Hampton because I saw it parked there earlier today.

One of my favorite collector cars.

Cub's game is on now, but it's about to head into extra innings. We can't get the game in our room because MLB decided only to broadcast the game on their network to which no hotel subscribes. Grrrr. I'll get a web update on my computer later. It's late and I don't want to fall asleep in the lobby. Off to Malinsburgh or Marlinville or Marlinton or some such place tomorrow. Elkins as been great!

Go Cubs!

Love you and miss you.

Matt

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2016 02:52 PM by EmptySea.)
11-21-2016 01:37 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Excellent work, MTC. I always like the invention of a new verb.
11-21-2016 03:58 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Enjoying this immensely Sea

Defender of the Realm
11-21-2016 07:01 PM