Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Hearing Protection on a budget
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: Hearing Protection on a budget
(11-24-2016 03:39 AM)Rocky Wrote:  I buy boxes of 200 pairs of E.A.R foam earplugs and use them regularly.
I like the 3M brand disposable, I get two packs of 80 pairs each year. I think it's about $20.
11-24-2016 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I use foam plugs a lot (I reuse them until they start to degrade then toss). But I can't wear them for hours as they irritate my ears.

Finally upgraded to the molded silicone plugs last year. Work very well and much less irritation.

Bees wax, tried this on the recommondation of a friend. Takes some skill to prep then stuff in the ear. Better than foam for long hauls, not as good as the molded silicone.

Just got a helmet skirt, have not ridden with it yet. This new product is very interesting. I have discovered, especially with the MRA screen a LOT of noise comes up under the helmet. Going with a bikini fairing reduces turbulence and noise. Wearing the tube turtleneck helps with the under helmet noise.

I also find that a lot of noise comes in via your bone structure so stuffing the ears only goes so far. But it's the low hanging fruit. Between my HJC FG-17, a Bell full face and a Bilt full face (or my expired Shoie) one helmet was not appreciably quieter than the next.

At times I do wish I could pull on the ear muffs I use in the shop. However; I need to take them off from time to time to relieve pressure on my head. They are Peltors and I can wear them for a good 5-7 hours at a time though.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
11-24-2016 08:39 AM
jamesflood1 Offline
New To The Forum

Columbia
What hearing protection device is good for motorcycle riding? I want to buy a new device. Who are providing best hearing protection device?
06-10-2018 09:44 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Welcome to the forum, James. Scroll up and you'll find some good info.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
06-10-2018 08:32 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
All the solutions mentioned above should be tried only after putting the stock muffler back on... Wink
06-10-2018 11:35 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Hearing Protection on a budget
I buy basic foam earplugs in jars of 100. They work well, disposable, and far less problematic than the molded or custom ones. I never ride without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
06-11-2018 04:53 AM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
I fully agree with Capo , cheap 33 NR foam ones are easy to use, no fitting problems and throw them away as they are very cheap when buying in bulk.
06-11-2018 05:00 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(06-10-2018 11:35 PM)rotor Wrote:  All the solutions mentioned above should be tried only after putting the stock muffler back on... Wink

I am reasonably sure that you’re trying to be funny here, rotor, but since you should have hearing protection anyway, your choice of exhaust is pretty much irrelevant; at least as far as most of the relatively quiet aftermarket exhausts that most CB1100 riders use is concerned.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
06-11-2018 05:40 AM
2017EX Offline
Running Like a Top

U.S.A.
I was originally going to try the No Noise earplugs that have been mentioned previously in the thread in the ear plugs guide link Emptysea posted. The No Noise are $30, plus tax if applicable, and shipping. They come with 1 filter, one set of plugs, and an aluminum storage cylinder. Many of the reviews I read said that the center stub to grab to remove the plugs was too short to get hold of to pull them out. In those instances a significant other had to use tweezers to grab the stud to pull them out. Of lesser importance, many reviews said that the storage cylinder was not well made and fell apart.

Memphismike posted about Ear Peace plugs, and I had never heard of them before. They are a flat $20 shipped. What you get is 1 aluminum storage cylinder, 3 plugs, and 3 sets of filters, 3 filters to a set. The filters are color coded, and are different ranges of noise reduction. They are CE rated, and the manufacturer says if you dont like them, send them back for full refund no questions asked. I bought a set. The bodies of the plugs are hypo allergenic very soft flexible silicone. The removal tabs are similar to tabs used on hearing aids, easy to grab, and do not bind against the inside of my helmet. In comparing the specs between the No Noise ( comes with only one filter ) and the max noise reduction filter included with Ear Peace, the Ear Peace had slightly more noise reduction. The storage cylinder is well made. The top screws of to store two plugs inside. The bottom also screws off to store the spare plug. https://www.earpeace.com/

After using foam disposable, and solid plugs of various kinds over the years, I found the Ear Peace to be what was comfortable and right for me. No matter what the specs say, or the magazine writers say, it is always going to come down to what each person is comfortable wearing.
06-11-2018 06:15 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
I don't use ear protection because I've never found any that was comfortable. Foam ear plugs cause intense discomfort for me after 10 minutes or less. I tried the custom fit type and they were worse than foam. I give up.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
06-11-2018 08:39 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
FWIW a motorcycle i buy represents m . . .Ollie — 06:24 AM
FWIW a motorcycle I buy represents mon . . .The ferret — 06:22 AM