Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reno's CB1000R
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
RE: Reno's CB1000R
You'll quickly grow to love the single sided swing arm. It's an awesome feature.

Personally, I was never sure that the call on the Hawk GT forum for a super slack chain had anything to do with SSSA's specifically, or the Hawk's geometry in particular. More than likely, it is because so many people there raised up the rear-end of their Hawks with suspension mods, creating the need for a more slack chain to accommodate the change in geometry.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
08-13-2013 07:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redReno Offline
1st Service Completed

Fallbrook, CA
(08-13-2013 07:41 AM)Scoobynut Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 07:19 PM)redReno Wrote:  Couldn't adjust the chain because I need some kind of spanner and the only tools it came with was a fuse puller and a 5mm "hex wrench"

redReno, if the chain is adjusted with a slotted, round eccentric like the Hawk GT -- and I bet it is -- it is super easy to do once you understand how it works. Loosen the pinch bolt on the swingarm, place the spanner in one of the slots of the eccentric adjuster, and tap the spanner (very) lightly to adjust the chain tension. One way tightens, the opposite way loosens. Once adjusted just tighten the pinch bolt and you're done. One of the best things about the single sided swing arm is that you don't ever have to worry at all about wheel alignment when adjusting the chain -- it is always perfectly aligned.

A couple of other things to keep in mind:
1.) Test the spanner before you buy it for reach around the hub into the adjusting slots on the eccentric. Not all spanners will be to spec.
2.) Chain tension on a single sided swing arm is generally a good deal 'looser' than it is on a double sided swingarm, looser even than the service manual recommends, at least that's unanimously agreed on in the Hawk GT community. I would do some research on any CB1000R forums you can find to see what people experienced with the bike have to say.

Oh, and forget to mention, congrats on the new ride. Cool bike!

Awesome advice! thanks

(08-13-2013 07:32 PM)Guth Wrote:  You'll quickly grow to love the single sided swing arm. It's an awesome feature.

Personally, I was never sure that the call on the Hawk GT forum for a super slack chain had anything to do with SSSA's specifically, or the Hawk's geometry in particular. More than likely, it is because so many people there raised up the rear-end of their Hawks with suspension mods, creating the need for a more slack chain to accommodate the change in geometry.

Thanks, I'll be looking into it.

(08-12-2013 04:57 PM)Guth Wrote:  Doing just a bit of exploring, here are my top exhaust choices that fit with the styling of the bike (it's always fun helping other people spend their money).

Ha!Big Grin

Just browsing different exhausts on youtube, I stumbled upon this funny video.

This happens to be the one I am interested in, but I would like to hold off and enjoy it stock. Maybe once I have the $$ to go all out, I'll get it along with a K&N air filter and some kind of air/fuel control system like a Power Commander or what Bazzazz has.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2013 08:27 PM by redReno.)
08-13-2013 08:12 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
A 60 db increase? That's pretty funny.

Really glad that you're happy with the CB1000R! I'm sure it's a blast.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
08-13-2013 10:14 PM
Yoyodyne Offline
1st Service Completed

Wisconsin
(08-13-2013 07:32 PM)Guth Wrote:  You'll quickly grow to love the single sided swing arm. It's an awesome feature.

Ideally the swing arm pivot and the countershaft are concentric, so as the swing arm moves through its range of motion the tension on the chain never changes. In practice virtually all chain-driven bikes see the tension on the chain vary depending on the swing arm's movement.

For example, the Hawk sees the greatest chain tension when the suspension is fully compressed and the swing arm has moved up as far as it will go. If the chain is adjusted too tightly it can actually prevent the suspension from compressing fully, not good on big bumps! And a too-tight chain puts extra strain on the countershaft splines, in extreme cases damaging them. (The repair for that requires a full engine tear-down, ugh.)

Aftermarket shocks are frequently used to increase the Hawk's rear ride height, which effectively pushes the swing arm down relative to the chassis. This puts the rear axle/sprocket closer to the countershaft than they are when the bike is equipped with the stock shock absorber. In such cases the chain should be adjusted extra loose, because the distance between the rear sprocket and countershaft increases—even more than the stock setup—as the suspension is fully compressed, and thus chain tension will increase more too.

Whether or not the CB1000R is similarly sensitive to chain tensioning depends on where the swing arm pivot is in relation to the countershaft, and I have no info/experience on that subject.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 11:08 AM by Yoyodyne.)
08-14-2013 03:01 PM
Bayoucityrider Offline
Break-In Period

houston tx
Redreno,
I pulled the opposite move you did. I traded my cb1000r in on the cb1100.I had the cb1r for about a year and half and enjoyed riding it but i was a little cramped on it,but im 6'2 280lbs. At 45 with arthritis i was looking for a more comfortable and relaxing ride. One thing i wanted to warn you about with aftermarket exhaust on the cb1r. A buddy of mine purchased a 2012 cb1r right after i got mine and he installed the exact yoshi exhaust (shown in the above vid) and a power commander v with the auto tune. He weighs about 80lbs less than i do and when you take the difference in weight savings from the exhaust and factor in the new there was around 100lbs difference between the both of us. We both have about the same past riding experience ( he is good rider). We lined both those bikes up on quite a few occasions and my stock bike would pull him by atleast 8-10 bike lengths. He just could not catch me. And i am 100 lbs more. Needless to say after spending 12-1300 more on trick exhaust and fuel management he was not happy. The cb1r is all about low to midrange torque. Honda spent many hours on r&d on exhaust flow and back pressure to provide the most USABLE torque and power curves with that engine. I would think twice before spending hard earned cash on so called performance parts that give you less in return. YES, i know there are dyno plots that show different results but real world and dyno plots on paper are different. The 8-10 hp gains in the upper rpm registers may not be worth the money. Besides how often are you riding at +7k rpm. Enjoy that cb1r stock for awhile , its great bike. I would still have mine if i were comfortable on it.
One thing i will say about that yoshi exhaust.It sounded really good. But it sound really good behind me. So if this is more of an emotional thing for you to consider louder exhaust then by all means go for it. It sounds good and looks good on that bike. Man.....im starting to miss that bike already,but im diggn the cb1100.
08-14-2013 07:08 PM
redReno Offline
1st Service Completed

Fallbrook, CA
That's too bad for your buddy Bayoucityrider, I'll definitely keep all that in mind. I'll throw my cash at the loan instead and pay it off quicker.
What year did you have?
And luckily for me, I am 23 and only at 5'6" I haven't experienced any real discomfort on any bike I have been on. Hopefully I'll still be able to say that years from now.
08-14-2013 07:38 PM
Bayoucityrider Offline
Break-In Period

houston tx
(08-14-2013 07:38 PM)redReno Wrote:  That's too bad for your buddy Bayoucityrider, I'll definitely keep all that in mind. I'll throw my cash at the loan instead and pay it off quicker.
What year did you have?
And luckily for me, I am 23 and only at 5'6" I haven't experienced any real discomfort on any bike I have been on. Hopefully I'll still be able to say that years from now.

I had a 2011 model. You could get it in any color you want as long as it was black.It was cool paint in the sun,it had fine metal flakes in red,blue,purple and silver, i think.
It was magic dust black thats what color it was. Thats why mine was faster.Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 07:11 PM by Bayoucityrider.)
08-16-2013 07:10 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Brake Pads... Simplified
I bought all my pads from my Honda deale . . .peterbaron — 12:21 AM
Brake Pads... Simplified
i think those come from the same fac . . .Yata-Garasu — 10:28 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.