Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hernia Surgery: Feel like a new man
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Hernia Surgery: Feel like a new man
It wasn't until today I realized how messed up I had been for years with that torn groin muscle and protruding guts. I had just adapted to it. It wasn't like some guys get where it just all piles out, just seemed like a small insignificant bulge. But after the surgeon was done he said it was bad, and he had to use both a plug and a patch of mesh. He said that thing should never let loose again.

So today I tried some pushups and what not, it was unbelievable how solid my abs felt as compared to before. Always felt like something was messed up.

A lot of guys I know have said they are putting off that surgery but I can only say if you get a good surgeon and can be patient a few weeks, it could give you a new lease on life. I was always afraid to fully exert myself. It messes with your mind.

That translates straight into a lot more confidence handling motorcycles and other physical tasks.
12-07-2016 09:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
RE: Hernia Surgery: Feel like a new man
Glad you're feeling much better, Ulvetanna. Thumbs Up

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
12-07-2016 10:01 PM
Rolls Offline
High Mileage

Belmont, CA
Very happy for the excellent outcome!
12-07-2016 11:31 PM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
Fortunately, I've never had to go through that, but am happy to hear that yours had a good result and you are fit once more Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
12-08-2016 03:44 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Can't beat that!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-08-2016 05:21 AM
suhawk305 Offline
High Mileage

Orange County, NY
Good news and thanks for sharing your experience. It could help someone else to make the decision to go for the same surgery.

2014 Honda CB1100 Standard
1967 Honda CB77 Superhawk
You don’t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.
12-08-2016 08:15 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(12-08-2016 08:15 AM)suhawk305 Wrote:  Good news and thanks for sharing your experience. It could help someone else to make the decision to go for the same surgery.
That's my hope. Until I had this issue flare up, I had no idea there were so many guys that were just walking around needing surgery. I had a lot of people tell me that either their husband, brother, father, or whoever was nursing a hernia but didn't want to go have it fixed. My brother in law, for one.

I won't say that surgery is something to take lightly and you better believe I had some concerns but for me, there was no way I could be active or do what I like with that kind of health issue. Also the chance of "strangulation" which basically can kill you real quick if not fixed with emergency surgery is hanging over you.

Apparently there are a lot of nerves in that tissue and when the muscle is opened up or torn, and then the guts get to moving around, it creates a very "unsettled" sensation, like a mild anxiety all the time. I can tell you I had that and had to fight through it every time I wanted to go do something. But it is your body telling you something is wrong.

The last couple of mornings I have jumped out of bed and felt like I wanted to go down to the gym and do some sparring, or take on a punching bag. I would never have imagined such an improvement.

So I say to anyone, if you have this going on, better get it fixed with a scheduled surgery rather than wait for a "strangulation" incident where you don't get any prep and put yourself at risk.

Most all these are what they call "open" surgery which is NOT general anesthesia, they just hit you with a nice IV cocktail, which knocks you out real well (just like for that lovely colonoscopy we have all had right on schedule, right? Haven't had yours? For shame). When they hit you with that juice you just get all relaxed and everyone is your friend. Then it's just a few shots of anesthetic at the site of the surgery to numb you up, no different than going to the dentist.

Last thing I remember was being lifted from the gurney to the operating table. After that I was out like a light, and then was waking up, thinking, "Wow, they're done. Cool."

I can tell you my confidence in being able to handle the weight of the bikes and any other types of tasks (hooking up trailers, lifting stuff) is way above where it has been for years. Even though the thing didn't really flare up until recently it was having an effect.

Hope this helps someone.
12-08-2016 08:28 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Good post. When I had my hernia, I was young and I wanted the surgery done so I could continue weight training and other activities. At the time, it was a no-brainer, but if the same thing happened today, I suppose I might have thought about just living with it. That would have been a mistake. So, just like prostate exams, colonoscopies and other ummm less-than-comfortable procedures many of us menoverfifty postpone or avoid... DON'T.

Thanks for the update...oh...and did you ask if they had a leather patch since it's more resilient than mesh? Wink

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-08-2016 08:42 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(12-08-2016 08:42 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  Good post. When I had my hernia, I was young and I wanted the surgery done so I could continue weight training and other activities. At the time, it was a no-brainer, but if the same thing happened today, I suppose I might have thought about just living with it. That would have been a mistake. So, just like prostate exams, colonoscopies and other ummm less-than-comfortable procedures many of us menoverfifty postpone or avoid... DON'T.

Thanks for the update...oh...and did you ask if they had a leather patch since it's more resilient than mesh? Wink
You know I just did not get around to that but it's a thought. ROFL

I have been wondering about the flexibility and so on but I figure they do this all day long, my surgeon seems very confident in the procedure.
12-08-2016 09:17 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM