Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Georgia Bound
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Georgia Bound
I'm a CB1100 aficionado but not (yet) owner. The new EX has re-kindled my interest in the model, so I'm active again on the forum.

As the winter doldrums are settling in on those of us in the northern hemisphere, I thought you guys might appreciate a ride tale from last spring. My "seat" was on an F800GT but maybe the tale will prove more interesting than the bike I was on. Wink

I wrote it up on the F800riders.org forum where my handle is "Futterman"...rather than re-post here I'll just post a link.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
12-13-2016 04:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: Georgia Bound
Nice report, Stichill. I've ridden a few of those roads and they're excellent.
12-13-2016 05:45 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Really fine ride report. Been down most of those roads and they are all awesome rides.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
12-13-2016 06:29 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Hey Stichill, good to see you are still wearing down some rubber on that Beemer. How is it treating you? We need to get together in the spring for a little ride.(besides the Yamaha days ones lol). We did our Mens Fall Trip with son Brian and Jimmy (both of whom you have met) and my brother Randy over near Marrietta, Ohio. Got some great routes I can share if you are interested seeing as how we are rodent brothers lol. Also some great routes in West Va and central kentucky based out of Berea.

Anyhow great ride report and excellent pictures. We have ridden so many of those same roads. I think your pics are better though lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-13-2016 06:40 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Nice read so far. I'm only through Day 2, but I have to get to work. I've toured the Deal's Gap area to the southwest and Elkins, WV area to the northeast of Maggie Valley. I think some of our future trips will need to fill in the gap between those points, following the green blotches on the map that are the Smokey, Blue Ridge, Appalachian, and Allegheny mountains. What a beautiful part of our country.

To work I go!

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-13-2016 07:18 AM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Glad you guys liked the report. I know I always get amped up reading others' reports...right now I'm working on EmptySea's "letters" series. Great stuff! Thumbs Up

The GT has been doing yeoman's work in the sport-touring category, emphasis on "sport." It's about as maintenance-free as one could imagine with that belt drive and long service interval on the valve clearance inspection. I think I've put 15k miles on it, which all happened between May '15 and July '16 (I spent my entire late summer & fall this year prepping the Stichill country estate for my daughter's October wedding).

I'm still eyeballing the CB as a more relaxed about-town and day-tripper. My CBR250R is a bike that begs to be wound out and ridden like you stole it, and the GT is a bike that demands a certain level of rider commitment to the task at hand. It's at its best when the "upper half of the motorcycle" is performing as well as the lower half. It's not a bike that you just tool around on.

Ferret and EmptySea, I'd be very interested in ideas about rides in West Virginia. Our traditional "lead Weasel" is not going on the trip next year...he's taking three weeks' vacation for a solo Montana-Alaska run on a pre-equipped 2011 KLR650 he picked up recently.

So the rest of us are currently working on potential trip ideas. I've been looking at this area northeast of Asheville, NC. I'm thinking there might be some nice rental cabins around Watauga Lake.

Let's definitely get together sometime this spring, Ferret. That Scioto Ribbers joint looks like a tasty destination! The ferret

12-13-2016 08:38 AM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
That's some crazy beautiful country you got there in that link, Stichill. My brother rides to The Dragon from Jefferson GA and he says the ride up is as good or better than The Dragon.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 11:54 AM by nhawk7504.)
12-13-2016 11:53 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Great write up, Stich. I got an odd sense of pride, I guess, in seeing a CBR250r in your group. Still wish I had mine (as a second bike).

I'd be happy to discuss what I know about WV with you any time. I will tell you now that West Virginia is Weasel-worthy.

You should come to the Eureka Springs rally next May/June. I want people there that share my love of eating...errrr RIDING regardless of their choice of motorcycle.

Thanks for the read.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 01:55 AM by EmptySea.)
12-14-2016 01:52 AM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Thanks, EmptySea. I remember when you were very active on the 250 forum. Activity there has really decreased...it's a used-bike forum now with a lot of new riders...a lot of the grown-up enthusiasts have stopped contributing.

People are always surprised by the CBR250R's capabilities. I took mine on my first Weasel trip and the other guys were quietly concerned that I would struggle to keep up. Fortunately for me, even as first-season rider, me and the little ceebee easily dispensed with the Harleys and a guy on a BMW R1200C when we hit the twisties. And I could run 85 mph all day long on the interstate, which the cruiser guys didn't really want to do anyway.

I've still got my 250...just parked both bikes temporarily for winter so we can get the cars in the garage. I can quickly get either of them out for an unexpectedly warm day.

Speaking of riding and food...I started this thread on the 800 forum. Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 07:12 AM by Stichill.)
12-14-2016 06:53 AM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
Stichill,
That area you are considering for a ride is great! I spent many many weekends riding and camping that region, excellent roads and enough amenities to make it worthwhile. You will enjoy it.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
12-14-2016 07:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In th . . .Gone in 60 — 02:26 PM
Good story, Ferret. I had something sim . . .peterbaron — 02:10 PM
I could just as easily buy a complete . . .The ferret — 02:09 PM